Basket resting on temp sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hio3791

Reaction score
I built my e-kettle a few years back and it's been working great. I put the RTD sensor in the kettle which hasn't been a problem.

I recently purchased the basket option for my kettle, it's a Bayou Classic 15.5 gal. The basket clears the element but it's hitting the temp probe. If I had just put the probe half inch lower. I can still close the lid though so that's good.

In a separate thread, I asked about bending an RTD temperature probe and the answer was that i would likely damage it.

The probe is 2in long and frankly, I seriously doubt the weight of the basket, with grains (BIAB) will damage it but me being obsessive, I'd like to find a solution so that it doesn't touch the sensor.

I thought about building feet but that means more cleaning. I thought about using a silicone hose around the rim of the basket in order to raise ii but it would work better if the hose was flatter, more like a huge a washer. I thought about moving the probe but then I would have to somehow seal the hole.

I'll likely try a batch with the basket sitting on the sensor as I might be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. But I would like to hear ideas.

Thanks!

I would get an adapter that would pull the sensor closer to the kettle wall. I use a pump so the recirculation will keep the liquid moving and the sensor should still be accurate. If there is no liquid flow, then the sensor being close to the kettle wall could cause incorrect readings and would drive the liquid temps higher than expected.

I have a Concord pot with a basket. The basket has holes in it at three point where the basket comes in contact with the bottom of the pot. If I ever get around to converting to electric, my thought would to be to use 3 stainless machine screws to make feet (I know you said no feet, but it seems like a relatively easy solution).

I would get an adapter that would pull the sensor closer to the kettle wall. I use a pump so the recirculation will keep the liquid moving and the sensor should still be accurate. If there is no liquid flow, then the sensor being close to the kettle wall could cause incorrect readings and would drive the liquid temps higher than expected.

Nice thought. Even gave me the idea to use that hole for a sight glass and move the sensor.

I have a Concord pot with a basket. The basket has holes in it at three point where the basket comes in contact with the bottom of the pot. If I ever get around to converting to electric, my thought would to be to use 3 stainless machine screws to make feet (I know you said no feet, but it seems like a relatively easy solution).

Frankly, this is the cheapest/safest solution I can think of too.

I would move the sensor down and either plug the hole or put something like a sight glass in its place. Alternatively, make feet as noted above. The basket resting on the sensor is asking for trouble if you recirculate, because when (not if) you get a stuck mash, it will create enough force to damage it.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I think the cheapest/quickest solution would be to get SS machine screws as feet to raise the basket off the sensor. Later on, I can look into moving the sensor and putting in a sight glass in the current hole.

Latest posts

Back