Basil Lavender White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenads

Reaction score
OK, so there is a local competition going on around these parts and it has an Iron Chef style going on. Basically, the local brewery has chosen 4 ingredients that any combo can be used(must use at least one). Coriander seed, basil, lavender, and rosemary. Other than that, only water, hops, grain and yeast. I spotted on google that there are recipes for basil lavender lemonades...SO, my initial thought is to try my hand at a variation of a White IPA with some Sorachi Ace hops. I've come up with the following below and am looking for thoughts/concerns (Oh, and I already asked about the use of Brett, and that's a no no).

SRM: 4.1 SRM
IBU: 59.8 IBUs
OG: 1.073 SG
FG: 1.015 SG
Est ABV: 7.7 %
Batch: 6.00 gal

9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 tbsp Lavender (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.00 oz basil (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.15 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min

Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944)

Not sure about the amounts, but Lavender can go from a nice hint in your beer, to a whole lot of perfume/soap flavor in a real hurry. I would be cautious with my quantities.

Also, I think it would perform better as a steeping addition, rather than a boil. You really just want the aromatics ... perhaps you can just add it during whirlpool/cooling of the wort.

Never have used basil, but that sounds tasty!

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I did a variation of slims lemon lime hefe but I added basil to it. I wanted a decent amount if basil flavor. I steeped 3 oz of basil leaf after flameout for about 10 min before I cooled it. Worked out great. Awesome flavor and aroma. I wouldn't suggest boiling it. In culinary world, you don't ever add the basil until the very end or else you'll cook the flavor out of it. Same concept here kinda. Sounds good with lavender. The sorachi ace makes all the difference too. Nice lemony flavor and aroma. Good luck.

I am definitely afraid of the lavender, but I don't want a "play it safe" beer for the comp since I got dinged for playing it safe last year. I found this in a thread about lavender:

I've done a number of follow-up experiments with lavender in an attempt to improve/perfect it.
1) Added 2 tbs culinary lavender to previously described wheat recipe at beginning of boil, end of boil, or in secondary. Of 11 tasters, end of boil got the highest score, but they were all similar. The secondary definitely had a greater lavender aroma and flavour. The beginning of boil was almost invisible, and the end of boil had a very slight aroma and flavour.
2) Added 1, 2, or 4 tbs culinary lavender to the secondary of the above wheat recipe. The 2 tbs got the highest score here. The 1 was present but subtle. The 4 was quite strong- many thought overpowering, but my wife was happy with it.
3) All-grain stout (3# 2-row, 1# choc malt, 0.5# dark crystal, 0.25# each roasted barley and red wheat, mash 160 x60min, 0.5 oz Fuggles at 60 and 30 min, Yeast S-04) with 0, 2, or 4 tbs lavender added to secondary. The 2 tbs got the highest score and was _really_ interesting. The stout and lavender flavours worked quite well.

Summary: I plan to use 2 tbs in the secondary in the future. Planning to do the wheat and the stout with that amount of lavender as well as some lactose, since I think a little sweetness with the lavender would be fabulous.

I did misread it though and see that he added it to the secondary, so I am all for taking the lavender out of the boil. I have used basil in a wheat before at 5 min and initially I thought it had plenty of flavor, but it faded quickly. I will move it to flameout though.

Thanks for the kind suggestions. I hope it turns out well since I can only make 1 go at it because I’m basically at capacity getting beers ready for my wedding in August.

I used lavender in the secondary for an IPA, and it came out quite bitter. Smelled fantastic, though. I was very disappointed, but fortunately only did one gallon.

Shane

I was just thinking about herb beers yesterday! The recipe I came up with is almost exactly the same as yours but with a lower IBU. My plan is to split the batch and add all the herbs in secondary to make a sort of "spice rack six pack" (I only have lavender, basil and sage in the garden though). Found all the same threads you probably did on the forums.

Hey Joe, when you made the Basil Wheat I tried, when did you add the basil, in the boil 10-15 from end or to the secondary?

Anyone have a recipe to ferment whey into alcohol? Looking for something similar to kumis. Help me if you can.

Thank you.

Well, I took home the win out of 49 entries. I'm pretty pumped about it and I get to brew the beer with the brewery that held the competition. Final recipe below:

SRM: 4.1 SRM
IBU: 59.8 IBUs
OG: 1.073 SG
FG: 1.000 SG
Est ABV: 9.5 %
Batch: 6.00 gal

Mash at 151 F

9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.15 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz basil (Flameout)

Ferment at 64 F
Forbidden Fruit(Wyeast Labs #3463)

2.00 tbsp Lavender (Dry Hop for 7 days before kegging)
1 oz Sorachi Ace (Dry Hop for 7 days before kegging)

Congrats on the win, a very nice wedding present indeed! I was at the contest but didn't get a chance to sample many and missed yours.

Wish I had seen this thread sooner.......first time in and we fell victim with a "play it safe" beer and guess we didn't amp up the spices enough.

Cheers on the recipe, looks great!

I am definitely afraid of the lavender, but I don't want a "play it safe" beer for the comp since I got dinged for playing it safe last year.

Thanks for the kind suggestions. I hope it turns out well since I can only make 1 go at it because I’m basically at capacity getting beers ready for my wedding in August.

Thanks man! I didn't actually set up a table this year. I showed up about half way thru the event and only brought a growler never thinking I'd win.

Back