Basic Yeast Starter Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackhole

Reaction score
This is probably a basic question, but I've searched and searched and just cannot pin down an answer here.

In How to Brew, John Palmer only provides instructions on how to make a 1 pint starter using 1/2 cup of DME. There's no talk of making larger starters. However, I'm constantly seeing people talk about 1L, 2L, and larger starters. Others have suggested that JZ's yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com is the authority on yeast pitching starter rates. The minimum starter size ever suggested (as far as I can tell) by JZ's calculator is 1L, however there's no instructions there (also as far as I can tell) as to how much DME to use.

What's the rule here? How are you guys calculating starter size, or the need for a starter in the first place?

This is probably a basic question, but I've searched and searched and just cannot pin down an answer here.

In How to Brew, John Palmer only provides instructions on how to make a 1 pint starter using 1/2 cup of DME. There's no talk of making larger starters. However, I'm constantly seeing people talk about 1L, 2L, and larger starters. Others have suggested that JZ's yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com is the authority on yeast pitching starter rates. The minimum starter size ever suggested (as far as I can tell) by JZ's calculator is 1L, however there's no instructions there (also as far as I can tell) as to how much DME to use.

What's the rule here? How are you guys calculating starter size, or the need for a starter in the first place?

well, if you want a bigger starter you can just multiply the amounts. For a 1 pint starter, use 1/2 cup DME. For a 1 quart starter (multiply times 2), you'd use 1 cup DME. For a gallon, you'd multiply the quart starter amounts times 4.
Liters/ml make it easier, but I'm used to American measurements.

well, if you want a bigger starter you can just multiply the amounts. For a 1 pint starter, use 1/2 cup DME. For a 1 quart starter (multiply times 2), you'd use 1 cup DME. For a gallon, you'd multiply the quart starter amounts times 4.
Liters/ml make it easier, but I'm used to American measurements.

Sure, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is why I should make a starter larger than a pint and if so, how much larger?

If you read JZ's "14 Essential Questions..." It instructs to use 1g DME/10mL of water so fro 1000mL you shoud use 100g, and for 2000mL starter 200g and so on, beginning with a 1 or 2L starter is a good starting point, if you want to go larger it is recommended to step up form there.

A stirplate is a must for starters IMO.

Carefully read the article on Mr. Malty and you will have all the basic info you need on starter production.

You stated that there was no info on "how much DME to use", however, it is all there in print, like I said reread the info, and you will answer your own questions, Mr. Malty is a great resource.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

The general rule of thumb is 10:1. That's 10mL of water for every 1g of DME. Thus, for a 1L starter, you'll use 100g of DME. If you use that ratio, your starter should be right around 1.040.

I think he is trying to find out WHEN to make a bigger starter, not HOW to make one.

Jackhole said:
Sure, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is why I should make a starter larger than a pint and if so, how much larger?

You make a starter based on the gravity of the beer you are making, the size of the batch, and how much yeast you have to begin with. The rationale behind a starter is that a vial or smack pack of yeast does not have a high enough cell count for some 5 gallon batches of beer, especially styles that have a higher starting gravity. Thus, you make a simple mixture of boiled DME and toss in your yeast a few days before brew day so that it can begin fermenting and, ultimately, reproduce. That way, when it's time to pitch, your pitching two or three times the yeast you would have pitched had you just put in the vial or smack pack.

The Mr. Malty calculator helps you figure out exactly how many cells of yeast you should need to inoculate your batch and, thus, what size starter you need. Sometimes you don't need a very big one because you're brewing a lighter style, such as a blonde ale or a cream ale. Sometimes you need several liters because you're brewing a stout or a belgian strong. Either way, the size of the starter is really just a function of how much yeast you want to pitch into your wort. If you're brewing something big, then your starter will also need to be big in order to make sure you have plenty of yeast to completely ferment out the batch.

I think he is trying to find out WHEN to make a bigger starter, not HOW to make one.

1.060 and higher is a good rule of thumb to make larger starters. (2.5-3L)
Barleywines, and such you should be using at least round about 4L starters, and when you are using larger starters it is best to chill and decant, a 1L starter in 5 gallons wil have a minimal impact, a 4L starer in 5 gallons can have a larger impact, so there si some logic to use when making use of large starters, and pitching the entire volume.

Latest posts

Back