Basic Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I tried to brew a basic saison a few months ago with the following ingredients:

11 lb pilsner
4 oz saaz (2 oz 60min, 1 oz 15 min, 1 oz 1 min)
belle saison yeast
OG: 1.049 FG: 1.002
It was an experiment to see what characteristics I could easily identify from the belle saison yeast as it was my first time using it.

I naturally carbed it using sugar and then let the keg sit for 4-5 weeks. I cold crashed and set it to my serving pressure for a few days and then tasted it. I can easily identify the saaz hops, but I don't taste any saison flavours from the yeast.

I know specialty grains likely contribute to a proper balance - but why can't I taste any "saisony" flavours? As is it tastes a bit bland with a nice aroma.

Thanks!

Temperature during the first 2-3 days of fermentation is responsible for most of the yeast flavor compounds. Maybe you were holding at a temperature that didn't encourage significant ester and phenol production...

Temperature during the first 2-3 days of fermentation is responsible for most of the yeast flavor compounds. Maybe you were holding at a temperature that didn't encourage significant ester and phenol production...

I usually start at 66-68 then ramp up

Yeah I leave all of my saisons at room temperature after chilling them down to 70 F or so. Mid 70's is good for a saison. That's why saisons are a popular beer for the folks who don't have a way to control fermentation temperature.

That's really too low for Belle Saison. I ferment my saison using Belle Saison in the mid-seventies, and many brewers regularly brew saisons well into the 80s.

What temperature do you pitch at?

Honestly I brewed one Saison with Belle and it will be the last. I just didn't care for the way the beer tasted and Saison is my favorite style to brew. Loved 3711, no problems with the ever finicky DuPont, hell I can make a damn good Saison with Ardennes! BTW I use dry yeast for 90% of my brews because S05 rocks and I have no idea why anyone would screw with a starter for Chico

I have 3 different saisons right now using Belle Saison so I'm hoping at least one turns out okay :mug:

Honestly I brewed one Saison with Belle and it will be the last. I just didn't care for the way the beer tasted and Saison is my favorite style to brew. Loved 3711, no problems with the ever finicky DuPont, hell I can make a damn good Saison with Ardennes! BTW I use dry yeast for 90% of my brews because S05 rocks and I have no idea why anyone would screw with a starter for Chico

Depending on the form of Chico you're using (liquid vs. dry), and your OG, you may NEED a starter to avoid underpitching. Regardless, I usually make a starter for my dry yeasts as well a liquid ones, because I like to pitch at high krausen when the yeast are most active.

I used Belle Saison for all of my saisons last year, and I really like the yeast. Two things I noticed:
1) You really need to ferment it hot (80+) to get strong saison flavors out of it. I was pitching at 80, and my basement where I ferment was 83. So, you know that it probably got close to 90 in the fermenter.
2) I noticed a better flavor on the second generation of the Belle Saison. The first generation had a bit of flavor, but the second batch popped.

I used Belle Saison for all of my saisons last year, and I really like the yeast. Two things I noticed:
1) You really need to ferment it hot (80+) to get strong saison flavors out of it. I was pitching at 80, and my basement where I ferment was 83. So, you know that it probably got close to 90 in the fermenter.
2) I noticed a better flavor on the second generation of the Belle Saison. The first generation had a bit of flavor, but the second batch popped.

Good to know! Maybe I won't give up on it yet. I've heard that this strain is related to DuPont so the high temps make sense. I live in BFE and the closest HBS is about 3 hours away so I tend to use a lot more dry yeast.

Great info - I will try that on the next batch :mug:

Back