Basic Island Mist wine kit in a 6.5 primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seapro210

Reaction score
I just purchased an Island Mist Kiwi-Pear Sauvignon Blanc wine lit from my LHBS. They told me I could primary ferment in my 6.5 gallon bucket and then transfer to a 6 gallon secondary. After reading the directions, it recommends at least a 7.9 gallon primary. I would like to get this kit started tonight, would the 6.5 gallon be adequate for this wine kit? It is a basic value kit and I am thinking the 6.5 would allow enough headspace for this kit and that more complex fermentable wines would need the extra space. Any suggestions?

I just purchased an Island Mist Kiwi-Pear Sauvignon Blanc wine lit from my LHBS. They told me I could primary ferment in my 6.5 gallon bucket and then transfer to a 6 gallon secondary. After reading the directions, it recommends at least a 7.9 gallon primary. I would like to get this kit started tonight, would the 6.5 gallon be adequate for this wine kit? It is a basic value kit and I am thinking the 6.5 would allow enough headspace for this kit and that more complex fermentable wines would need the extra space. Any suggestions?

It should fit- I don't recall those kits foaming up all that much.

I just bottled this exact kit tonight. Fermented in a 6.5 gal bucket secondary in a 6 gal carboy. No problems what so ever. I would put a blow off tube on the bucket just to be safe though.

Did a search and saw this thread had the same question I was going to ask. Now my question is: are there some kits that it is essential for the larger primary bucket?

I was looking at some of the RJ Spagniols Cabernet Suavignon kits. In the past I have only done one other wine kit and it was a 3 gallon port one.

I would say kits with skins would probably be best in the larger bucket.

Back