Basement Brew Storage Room Floor Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomXsaloon

Reaction score
Hi, all...
So I've got this 10' x 8' kitchen downstairs that I am converting to a brew storage room. The real brewing takes place right out the door on the patio, so this room is mostly for storage of equipment, bottling/kegging, fermenting, etc. Also, there's a stove for minor boiling/warming, a sink, and in the adjacent room, a fridge and keezer-to-be!
So we recently tore up the old floor tiles (most were cracked and were coming up anyway). What's left is a cement sub-floor with some black glue-like residue.
My question....what would be a good flooring for such a room?? Looks aren't all that important, but would like to keep costs down. I could do cheap tile, pour and smooth concrete?, etc. I figure it may get some occasional spills, and wear-and-tear.
Any suggestions?? Thanks.

My suggestion is to scrape all the black goo off and you can use garage floor paint to paint the floor. That stuff works great it's water proof, easy to clean, and looks dang good.

Lowes/Home Depot have an enamel type paint used for garage floors. Very durable and lots of options. I can't seem to find the stuff online, but would be pretty easy to find in store. Will update if/when I find sources online.

Edit: Of course I would find the information as soon as I posted. The Home Depot has an entire section of their website for these products. These are floor epoxies and paints. In my personal opinion the epoxies are more durable than standard concrete paint, but you can check them out and decide for yourself.

The Home Depot: Concrete, Basement & Garage Floor

If you want something durable but that looks nicer than just a painted floor I used slate tile on my floor. It was less than a 1.00 per sq ft and since its natural stone if it chips you cant notice.

Put a couple coats of sealer on it and your good to go.

Back