Base grain 50# sacks, which ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
I just purchased a mill and plan on getting some 50# sacks of base grain... Label Peelers is relativity close to me and most of the recipes I want to do call for 2 row, pilsner and wheat malt. I am planning on getting, mostly due to costs:

Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb - http://labelpeelers.com/briess-pale-malt-2-row-50-lb-p-2064.html
Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb - http://labelpeelers.com/avangard-malz-premium-pilsen-malt-55-lb-p-4857.html
Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb - http://labelpeelers.com/avangard-malz-wheat-malt-55-lb-p-4869.html

Would those in your opinion be the 3 you would go with? Is there a better one that doesn't cost much more (poor and cheap)? I realize that some recipes call for German, Belgium or US grain would it make much of a difference if I used German? I'm looking forward to spending <$1 a pound for grain but also like to produce some decent beers as well.

Thanks.

I just bought my first sack of grain, and I went with Marris Otter. I went with this because I have two recipes coming up that call for it, and the cost for buying that grain in smaller quantities was approaching the cost for the 55lb sack. I'd say buy what you use. I'll be buying a sack of US 2-row next, since I use a lot of that.

I'd get marris otter, but it really depends on what you use the most of in your beer. Look up the beer styles you make the most of and the typical ingredients. That's the best place to start.

Briess is cheap quality malt, that i think tastes funny lol.

The Avangard malts seem to have a higher yield that other malts I have used, which will allow for using less malt to hit gravity targets.

That said, I like quality Maris Otter for British and American ales and spend the money, as I think it makes for better beers.

Quality german malts also work very well, and the Avangard is a decent malt.

I went on a grain buying frenzy last month. Was in Atlanta visiting a friend and went to a brew shop, bought 55lbs of 2-row, 10lbs of Munich, 10lbs of Crystal 40L and a few other odds and ends. A couple of weeks later went to a brew shop about 1.5 hours from my house and picked up 30lbs of Maris Otter, and 1-2lbs of various other specialties.

I brew mostly IPAs so this should keep me brewing for at least the next couple of months, I hope :D

I've used 2-row from different maltsters in US and it all tastes the same to me. Canadian, Rahr, Briess, no difference I can detect.

MO is $17 more... I've used it in a smash and another recipe but is it really worth the extra cash?

I keep MO, 2-Row, Pilsner and Munich on hand by the sack and most other specialty grains I either 10 or 5 lbs at a time depending on how much is typical per recipe.

I keep MO, 2-Row, Pilsner and Munich on hand by the sack and most other specialty grains I either 10 or 5 lbs at a time depending on how much is typical per recipe.

Ya I figure for the small 1oz to couple pound specialty grains I'll just hit my local, 10 min away, shop and get what I need... their prices are decent but grain at LP, and esp hops, are much cheaper than the local. It's only an hour away and I visit that area a lot. Looking forward to paying <$20-30 for a 5 gallon batches. Thanks guys I might step it up to the MO, not sure just yet.

Ya I figure for the small 1oz to couple pound specialty grains I'll just hit my local, 10 min away, shop and get what I need... their prices are decent but grain at LP, and esp hops, are much cheaper than the local. It's only an hour away and I visit that area a lot. Looking forward to paying <$20-30 for a 5 gallon batches. Thanks guys I might step it up to the MO, not sure just yet.

Totally. MoreBeer is a few hours away from me, but I'm in that area every couple of months, so I tend to pick up a sack or 2 for myself and whatever friends need. $35ish for 2-row is hard to beat here.

Our local is well priced by the pound though, so I'll typically pick up specialties there to keep them supported.

Totally. MoreBeer is a few hours away from me, but I'm in that area every couple of months, so I tend to pick up a sack or 2 for myself and whatever friends need. $35ish for 2-row is hard to beat here.

Our local is well priced by the pound though, so I'll typically pick up specialties there to keep them supported.

$35 for 2 row... wow, thought $44 was good ha

MO is $17 more... I've used it in a smash and another recipe but is it really worth the extra cash?

MO does give a very distinctive flavour, and you can't really substitute standard 2 row for it and still get the same results. For certain styles, it's definitely worth it. For others it will provide a flavour profile you might not like.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

I use quite a bit of pilsner malt and usually keep a sack on hand. I find that I can't personally tell the difference between American, German, or Belgian pilsner so I've been using the free sack of Canadian pilsner malt that I won a few months ago for any recipe that calls for pilsner malt. I also picked up a sack of Marris Otter when I brewed an imperial stout last fall that I'm planning to use for any American/English recipes coming up.

Yeah, no matter what you buy, there will always be something else. Whether it's a grain or a piece of equipment. This is a hobby of upgrades. You got 2 taps, you want 3. You got 4 kegs, you need 5. You got a 2 roller mill, you want a 3 roller mill. You got a 10 gallon kettle, you want a 15 gallon kettle. You got a plastic fermenter, you want a stainless steel one. It goes on and on.

As soon as I bought a ton of bulk grains, including 2 row and MO, I was in need of others. In fact, my very next brew after my bulk buy required the base malt I didn't buy...pilsner.

Unless you go absolutely nuts with the buying, you will look at each recipe and say to yourself, "got it, got it ,need it, got it, need it". That means to trip to the LHBS or the same cost for flat rate shipping. Oy vey!:smack:

Yeah, no matter what you buy, there will always be something else. Whether it's a grain or a piece of equipment. This is a hobby of upgrades.

As soon as I bought a ton of bulk grains, including 2 row and MO, I was in need of others. In fact, my very next brew after my bulk buy required the base malt I didn't buy...pilsner.

Unless you go absolutely nuts with the buying, you will look at each recipe and say to yourself, "got it, got it ,need it, got it, need it". That means to trip to the LHBS or the same cost for flat rate shipping. Oy vey!:smack:

Ha, yup... the wife is getting sick of me buying small things here and there. It all adds up but she does enjoy some of my beers so it's a trade off. I figure if I can save on grain here and there then the mill I got will pay for itself in no time ha... now I need some food grade buckets to store it in, which I'm hoping to score for free from a local popcorn place, if not then buying some Lowes ones.

2 Row is the way to go IMO. It will cut your brewing costs by at least a quarter. (Plus I use it as an excuse to brew more)

I buy MO, Bries2 row, and Pils by the sack. All others on an as needed basis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

2 Row is the way to go IMO. It will cut your brewing costs by at least a quarter. (Plus I use it as an excuse to brew more)

This is not bad advice and true for a lot of American styles, but both continental and British styles will often require other malts.

I keep a bag of Maris Otter, Great Western 2-row pale malt, and Briess wheat malt. Everything else I keep less than 5 lbs of.

Which reminds me... time to get another sack of 2-row.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using a 300 baud modem

Ok, what came before teletype machines and acoustically coupled modems running at 150 baud (been there, done that!)? Smoke signals?

Thomas Fawcet Pale Malt, Rahr 2 Row and Marris Otter are 3 that I've bought.

Join a Homebrew club if you haven't already and get on the email lists. In our area there are usually 1 or 2 grain buys a year. Also, after a couple of years thinking about keeping track of what I use throughout the year, this year I finally made a spread sheet. After a year or 2 I'll have a good idea of what grains to buy in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool thanks. I think before I buy l figure out my recipes I want to do and go from there. I know I'll be doing a couple Hefes and wheats... Ipas for sure and a couple high gravity beers, Tripels, etc. I'm not much into brew clubs, nothing wrong with them just not my cup of beer. Ha.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I started out with a sack of 2-row. It works in most anything to start.
Next is MO, as I have seen a few recipes that call for it that I want to try.

Just buy what you use. You have the right idea of it.

My first choice is a Californian grown 2 row, it is not that much more expensive than domestic 2 row and helps supports the local economy.

for lagers I buy 6 row because I want the higher enzyme count as I do use adjuncts.
I clone Miller, Asahi, 4X, and Tefal, all of which us adjunts and since I have the 6 row around I use it in my Oktoberfest also

Rahr 2 row is always on hand for me, it is solid. I really like using 6 row too, maybe because so many seem to derail it, but also it really rules it's realm. Learn it. Whatever you decide, keep it cool and air/varmint tight. It will last quite a while.

Rahr 2 row is always on hand for me, it is solid. I really like using 6 row too, maybe because so many seem to derail it, but also it really rules it's realm. Learn it. Whatever you decide, keep it cool and air/varmint tight. It will last quite a while.

Krackin is spot on here about storage. Unmilled grain will last a long time if stored properly.

My first choice is a Californian grown 2 row, it is not that much more expensive than domestic 2 row and helps supports the local economy.

for lagers I buy 6 row because I want the higher enzyme count as I do use adjuncts.
I clone Miller, Asahi, 4X, and Tefal, all of which us adjunts and since I have the 6 row around I use it in my Oktoberfest also

What are some brands of Californian 2 row?

I currently have Bestmalz pilsner and munich malts, plus Briess 2 row and mild malts. I like to have 2 row and pilsner for base malts with munich for a high percentage complimentary malt (depth). The mild malt is great to use as a base for dark ales.

Wow, just got an email saying everything is 25% off:

1 x Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb $40.49
1 x Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb $37.75
1 x Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb $37.49
$115.73 Sub-Total:
$0.00 Store Pickup -
$8.09 OH Sales Tax:
$123.82

Going to pull the trigger on this I think.

Ordered I think I'll give these a try and most of my recipes center around these 3 types. Thanks for your input guys!

$35 for 2 row... wow, thought $44 was good ha

That's only possible if the stores are selling it as a loss leader (which doesn't make any sense), or if they are essentially acting as their own wholesaler. Even $44 is quite cheap, depending on the brand.

That's only possible if the stores are selling it as a loss leader (which doesn't make any sense), or if they are essentially acting as their own wholesaler. Even $44 is quite cheap, depending on the brand.

Ended up getting it for $37.75... think they are much cheaper because they are within walking distance from LD Carlson. Guessing they have the sale since most people aren't actively brewing right now, good timing since I was in the market for grain. First thing I'll be brewing is a Belgian Tripel.

Our local LHBS price for 2 row is $36 and thats before any sales, I suspect they are still making some money on that, I'd guess it depends very much on quantities ordered. Good price though.
http://morebeer.com/products/domestic-2row-50-lb-sack.html

Ended up getting it for $37.75... think they are much cheaper because they are within walking distance from LD Carlson. Guessing they have the sale since most people aren't actively brewing right now, good timing since I was in the market for grain. First thing I'll be brewing is a Belgian Tripel.

Did you pick this up yet? If so what was the place like?

Did you pick this up yet? If so what was the place like?

They got swamped with the sale and it won't be in till next week. I'll be getting it next weekend if you want a report.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back