Base Beer Recipes For Small Batch Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm interested in brewing some 5 gallon batches of base beers, and then run some experiments by fermenting 1 gallon batches using different yeasts, fruits, dry hops, etc, etc...

I have the ability to do full boils (Yea new Penrose Kettle!!!) and have only done a few AG brews via Brew In A Bag, so I can't really get into things that require much mash or sparge complexity.

I'd like hear your ideas for a good, simple, base beers as a jumping off point to start experimentation. Ideally I'd like to see recipes for base beers for a few different styles, and maybe even things you guys have done to base beers that worked great...or didn't. Either extract or AG are welcome.

I'll make sure to update the post with recipes I use, variations, and outcomes.

Thank you all in advance for your input!!!

If you looking to experiment in gallons why not work in a light-> dark base. Or you could just start 1 malt then 2 and so on. I know the is probably no help but maybe it will. Good luck.

I did a dry hop experiment and I just used pale malt extract with no specialty grains for my base to make life easier. One thing I would suggest, is ferment in your standard bucket and then transfer to the gallon jugs afterwards. When I did my experiment, all of my jugs overflowed. And they were only 3/4 full. If your doing a yeast experiment you need to ferment in the gallon jugs, but otherwise if you can split after the fermentation is complete, do so.

Search for "SMASH"; it stands for single malt and single hop. It was very popular around here for a while. Using a single malt across and then merely adding one different ingredient will give you a true baseline knowledge of how that affects your beer.

Do some more reading on smash, but I truly think a SMASH style single (base) malt recipe is the way to go for you (so 2 row, pilsner, munich, maris otter, golden promise, etc.)

Good luck.

:mug:

Back