Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmet1

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am looking to make an ale very soon and was wondering which barrels everyone would recommend?

I don't quite understand all the S30 valves, etc. and also cleaning them could be an issue..? How hard are they to clean?

Thanks in advance!

Alex, I'm not sure what you mean by barrels in this context. On this side of the pond, when homebrewers say barrels, we often mean wood barrels that have been used by vintners or distillers, which we then repurpose for making wood-aged beer. Is that what you mean?

Very interesting! Not many (or at least no one that I know) in the USA use a secondary vessel that can also be used to serve from. The most common fermenters are either plastic buckets or plastic or glass carboys. Many don't do any secondary fermentation, but if they do, they typically use a carboy. Then transfer into whatever they will be serving from (bottles or kegs).

Good luck!

Pappers_ said:
Very interesting! Not many (or at least no one that I know) in the USA use a secondary vessel that can also be used to serve from. The most common fermenters are either plastic buckets or plastic or glass carboys. Many don't do any secondary fermentation, but if they do, they typically use a carboy. Then transfer into whatever they will be serving from (bottles or kegs).

Good luck!

Weird! In England we refer to barrelling the beer and at the same time adding priming sugar to give it a little carbonation and pressure in the barrel as secondary fermentation. I then leave it for 3-4 days for the sugar to do its thing and then it's ready to drink!

Weird! In England we refer to barrelling the beer and at the same time adding priming sugar to give it a little carbonation and pressure in the barrel as secondary fermentation. I then leave it for 3-4 days for the sugar to do its thing and then it's ready to drink!

Cool! We call those cask ales here, which are gaining in popularity but still not common. Cheers! :mug:

Back