• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Texas Barrels! - Texas - Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrolight

Reaction score
Barrels?!: I will be placing an order for 2 barrels at $270 each (barrels cost 169 w/o shipping). This includes freight. I figure if more of us in the area are interested, shipping can drop considerably. I intend to use them for sours.

Barrel Specs:
Type: French Oak Barrels
History: Filled in 2011 and used for 2 runs of Cabernet Red Wine
Size: 59 gallons
Former Owners: Opus One Winery
Care: gassed/ozoned
Timeline: Order goes out Tuesday March 31st. Barrels emptied May 1st. Ships by May 6th. Eta May 10th. I don't mind delivering if you live in Houston, Austin, or anywhere in between. Other cities, sorry, you must pickup. Sorry, you must pay upfront, or at least a 50% down payment.

PM me if interested or for more details.

To moderators: Was going to post it in the group buy section... but it isn't a grain or ingredient :confused:

A bit. But I've called at least 30 local wineries, meaderies, and breweries and either the don't use barrels (steel fermenters) or those that do are not looking to part with any. I've been searching craigslist for a month and crossing my fingers on HBT. But no avail. So I figured I will just go for it. Of the 10 barrel re-sellers I've contacted, only 3 got back to me (probably due to the low quantity I'm after) and of those 3 the re-seller I chose had the cheapest shipped price.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to hop on-board cool, if not, I'm still going this route because I don't want to wait 6 months to save $50 or whatever it may be.

Does your wine company ever get rid of barrels? And do they ship? :)

We used to be able to buy old ones for like $50 but those days are long gone. We get good money selling them to distilleries and such. A lot of the barrels in Scotland are ex-US wine barrels. They're only really good for about 3 seasons for wine, then they turn neutral. But since spirits are aged for so long, they're still great there.

There's an awful of shrubbery planted in sawn-in-half barrels around here.

Still, I haven't inquired in a while so I'll ask, but shipping to TX or anywhere is gonna suck.

Truthfully, spirals, cubes, and micro-oxygenation have basically the same effect, but don't look as cool.

We used to be able to buy old ones for like $50 but those days are long gone. We get good money selling them to distilleries and such. A lot of the barrels in Scotland are ex-US wine barrels. They're only really good for about 3 seasons for wine, then they turn neutral. But since spirits are aged for so long, they're still great there.

There's an awful of shrubbery planted in sawn-in-half barrels around here.

Still, I haven't inquired in a while so I'll ask, but shipping to TX or anywhere is gonna suck.

Truthfully, spirals, cubes, and micro-oxygenation have basically the same effect, but don't look as cool.

Well, for sours, it's not about oaky flavors or tannin extraction. I am after micro aeration that occurs over aging over long periods of time. Wood is a great vessel for allowing a certain small amount of air to permeate. That, and gallon for gallon they are cheap fermentation vessels.

Drive to San Luis Obispo, Ca. They sell used French oak wine barrels for $75-90 depending on appearance. Wiskey barrels are $50.

There are quite a few wineries in Fredericksburg, TX that more than likely have a barrel or two to sell. Check out Becker, Grape Creek, Three Dudes, etc. Hope they have a few for ya.

Back