Barrel used for a sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I am going to be able to get my hands on a small, 2.6 gal, used barrel. I have been thinking about getting one for some time but haven't due to cost. This one will be a deal but it's not quite ideal because it has been used for sours. I was wondering it it would ever be possible to use it for anything other than sours? I was thinking of filling it with starsan for a while then getting some everclear to throw in for a while. I'm concerned that even with that it will never be able to do anything but sours. If that's the case I had planned on playing with sours here soon so I'll end up getting it anyway, I'd just like to know my options.

No living organisms can live at high temperatures. If you can fit that barrel into an oven and heat it to 160F and hold it there for a few hours (being a barrel it will take time to heat throughout) it will be pasteurized. That's about the only way to be sure to kill of the organisms that made the sour.

I would recommend using it for sours. Microbes aside, the oak character is gone at this point, so all you'd get from aging a regular beer is oxidation.

Back