Barrel beer turned sour, in a good way, couple of questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
HI,
We have a Wild Turkey barrel in my basement. Our third beer in it, a porter, has turned sour, been in the barrel about 4 months and has a light, nice, sour flavor. We pulled half of it and added half of what was to be the next beer, an IPA. I know this is an odd combination be we figure after 6 months to a year this could really turn in to something nice.

My question, would it help things along to add a couple of bottle dregs of a Bruery beer or something else, maybe some Brett yeast or a pack of Roselare blend? Not sure if we should make a starter from the dregs or Roselare? I have heard starters or not necessarily a good idea with some funky yeasts.

Just want to help this along in the right direction. Hoping we are heading down the road of a 'Tart in the Darkness' type beer over time. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lakedawgs

I wouldn't add anything. Your barrel already has its character. Let that grow and flourish. Every time you add something you run the risk of adding something really bad.

I'd be interested to see if it continues any kind of sourness because of the ipa... Maybe just some funk?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't add anything. Your barrel already has its character. Let that grow and flourish. Every time you add something you run the risk of adding something really bad.

He could culture some dregs in one gallon batches to see how they turn out, and if the one gallons turn out good he can pitch that into the barrel. Getting a diversity of bugs in there seems to create better results for me.

Latest posts

Back