Barrel aging projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness

Reaction score
So I want to be able to blend a Gueuze. I have two Buffalo Trace barrels and I know that is not typically what is used but I have them. The first barrel will be filled and the yeast used will be Yeast Bay, Melange. The second barrel will be using Yeast Bay, Amalgamation.
The beauty of barrel aging begins. I love the the changes of sour beers. The first barrel is full. Second batch is in primary. For some reason knowing that barrels of beer and yeast are working there chemistry just makes me happy. I honestly like the hands off long term aging process.
If anyone else has these projects going let me know how they are doing please.

20170513_121143.jpg

I recently purchased a whiskey barrel and I will be coming to this in short order, just going to age 1 or 2 clean beers first.
I think making gueuze is probably the most challenging and time consuming beer to brew, and as I understand it, most of the work happens well after the brew day. Tasting and blending young and old lambic takes finesse and an exceptional palate, and I know I'm personally not there yet. But having multiple barrels to sample and blend from is the key -- so if you have a few that didn't evolve as you liked, you have options at your disposal.
Best of luck to you sir, and let us know how your project comes along!

Ya the blending is going to be fun I think. I have a line on a few wine barrels also. If I can get them I will be able to start more twards the end of this year then one spring of next year and this way have multiple barrels of various ages. Also the wine notes a blend whiskey note will be cool to play with in the blending. My first full barrel was a Stout then some friends and I did a Barley wine. It's a lot of fun. Hope your project goes good. I wasn't sure if a sour barrel aging project thread was started, that anyone could post there pics to. So I wanted to start one.

Back