Barrel aging evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulboth

Reaction score
I am going to barrel age a stout in a 5 gallon oak barrel. I filled it with Wild Turkey three weeks ago and when I emptied it today, about half of it was gone. I searched for loss in an oak barrel, but couldn't find anything. Could that much evaporate or soak into the barrel, or did my little sister do what I think she did?
Thanks for any insight.

I am going to barrel age a stout in a 5 gallon oak barrel. I filled it with Wild Turkey three weeks ago and when I emptied it today, about half of it was gone. I searched for loss in an oak barrel, but couldn't find anything. Could that much evaporate or soak into the barrel, or did my little sister do what I think she did?
Thanks for any insight.

Three weeks is pretty fast for that much evaporation, even on a barrel that small. A few questions:

1. Did you test it for leaks before filling?

2. How did you prep the barrel before filling it?

3. Does your sister like Wild Turkey?

Thank you for the quick responses. I did check for leaks and prepped it with water for 4 hours, then let dry per instructions. My sister says she doesn't drink :-/.
I do know about the "Angel's share" but I understand that to be a drop in ABV, not overall volume. Yeah, half gone in 3 weeks, it does appear someone is NOT so angelic :)

Thank you for the quick responses. I did check for leaks and prepped it with water for 4 hours, then let dry per instructions. My sister says she doesn't drink :-/.
I do know about the "Angel's share" but I understand that to be a drop in ABV, not overall volume. Yeah, half gone in 3 weeks, it does appear someone is NOT so angelic :)

Angel's share includes evaporation and a drop in volume. But the rate you are reporting seems high.

And did you really fill it with 5 gallons of wild turkey???

No, I filled it with 1.75 liters and gave it a turn every morning. But, yeah, it's half gone. Thank God it's not 2 1/2 gallons gone

The bruery swells the wood by spraying down the outside of the barrels to make a tighter seal. You will lose some of your product anyway though due to soaking into the wood and also evaporation, which is normal. The wood isnt going to be airtight because its porous. I dont know how much you'll lose in a 5gal barrel but in a standard sized wine barrel, its normal to lose up to a few gallons.

If you filled the 5 gallon barrel with 1.75 liters and lost half, I think you're ok.

Back