Barrel Aging and LoDo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makubex

Reaction score
Greetings Lodo Enthusiasts,

In my tireless quest to make the best beer possible, I've found myself poking through all of the various forums and websites dedicated to the art of low oxygen brewing. I would like to take a stab at brewing a LoDo batch relatively soon, however the next brew that I have planned is an imperial stout, which will eventually make its way into a 5 gallon bourbon barrel.

Considering the high oxygen permability of a bourbon barrel, and the somewhat intentional oxygenation that happens at that stage, would it even make sense to attempt a LoDo process with this batch, or would my efforts be better spent on a pale ale or pilsner down the road?

Thanks in advance!

Bypass the lodo for a barrel aged beer-- save it for a pilsner!

If you want a lodo "barrel aged beer" I would use would chips instead of an actual barrel!

:mug:

I wouldn’t bother. Barrel aging anything would overpower the flavors you are trying to preserve anyway.

I appreciate the replies! Ended up brewing the RIS this weekend as I usually would.

The next batch in the queue is a pale ale which I'll use for my maiden LoDo voyage.

Thanks again!

Back