Barrel-Aged Spiced Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrub

real Gs move in silence like lasagna
Reaction score
TB Nation- Sup? Need a little help.

I'm planning a share (to be held in a couple weeks) focused around a blind barrel-aged spiced stout side-by-side. So far, beers committed for this portion of the share include:

BA Abraxas
DB Huna
Bourbon Barrel Huna
Apple Brandy Huna
Grande Negro Voodoo Papi
EDIT: Spice Wars KDS

My question is this: other than the Mexican Cake variants and I suppose Prop 2014, can anyone suggest any beers in this style that I should try to engineer a trade for before this tasting? Any help is appreciated.

My other question is this: if you don't have any suggestions, can you at least throw down a sweet gif including a Wayans family member?

3gpfkdQIunv5C.gif

Last edited:
BA hardywood Gingerbread stout?

I think Freemont did spice wars kds as well.

Thank you kindly sir. And thank you for reminding me that Spice Wars KDS is also part of the tasting already.

Is your definition of spice "with spices added" or "spicy"? If it's the former, Fremont Spice Wars KDS and Coffee Cinnamon BBomb should be on your list.

Is your definition of spice "with spices added" or "spicy"? If it's the former, Fremont Spice Wars KDS and Coffee Cinnamon BBomb should be on your list.

Definitely the former. Spice Wars KDS is already included, but I forgot to mention in my OP. Someone is also bring the Coffee Cinnamon BBomb-it won't be part of the side-by-side because it's not a stout, but I'm very much excited to try it given the extremely positive reception.

RIP your pallet

Palate fatigue concerns have been voiced by attendees, so we are going to open up a bunch of other "lighter" beers we won't be able to taste in between stout sessions.

Definitely the former. Spice Wars KDS is already included, but I forgot to mention in my OP. Someone is also bring the Coffee Cinnamon BBomb-it won't be part of the side-by-side because it's not a stout, but I'm very much excited to try it given the extremely positive reception.
Don't mind me, my post is redundant now, haha

Interested to see what u think of ab voodoo. It's one of the best beers I've ever had. I wonder how it's aged? I had it when it first came out. So so good.

Interested to see what u think of ab voodoo. It's one of the best beers I've ever had. I wonder how it's aged? I had it when it first came out. So so good.

Actually was lucky enough to have that one once already. I totally agree with your take - so, so good!

I think Spring House has similar style line of stouts. The one I had was horrific though.

Have heard very bad things.

very-bad-things.jpg

Oh? Oddside imperial BA Mayan mocha stout....I'm all out or I'd send u some. I love it, I've sent it to about three ppl and they all loved it....

One of my buddies was going to try to target this one for the share now that I think about it. I'll have to get him on that!

Pirate Bomb! or Brimstone Bomb!

Maybe someone can trade me a case of Pirate Bomb and a case of regular Bomb and 6 Bible Belts for my BA Abraxas.

You want some tweak up in there for lulz lmk.

54221904.jpg
........but that was distributed here.

Have heard very bad things.

very-bad-things.jpg

One of my buddies was going to try to target this one for the share now that I think about it. I'll have to get him on that!

Maybe someone can trade me a case of Pirate Bomb and a case of regular Bomb and 6 Bible Belts for my BA Abraxas.

54221904.jpg
........but that was distributed here.
That's a coffee stout tho. ****, I loved it. Favorite coffee stout ever.

I'm pretty sure it's 7% ashtray barrel aged this year
Abyss is sponsored by G.O.O.D. Music, Lamborghini Murci style. "Roll my weed on it, that's an ass(ash?) tray."
lJ6p2lU.gif

But in all srs-ness, Bells has Harry Magill's Spiced Stout on draft right now. Dunno if they do growlers, but that'd be fitting. Also, Terrapin does the Cinnamon-Rolled W'nB Stout and Belching Beaver has their Horchata Impy Stout.
FHpihB4.gif

french press a few barrel aged stouts over whatever spices you want. bcbs would be the easiest

Good idea and something we might do on top of everything else. Would be interesting to see how they compare to the "pro" versions.

They've done a tequila barrel aged one before.

I assume this was a DONG? Or draft and growlers? Would be a good addition to the lineup as I think CK Mexican Chocolate brings a little more heat than the Abraxas and Huna base beers for example.

Good idea and something we might do on top of everything else. Would be interesting to see how they compare to the "pro" versions.

Use cold brew for the coffee. Works way better. Careful with that cinnamon or you'll end up with abraxas.

I assume this was a DONG? Or draft and growlers? Would be a good addition to the lineup as I think CK Mexican Chocolate brings a little more heat than the Abraxas and Huna base beers for example.

I think they do growler fills of anything on tap, but there may be exceptions...not sure if this was one. Haven't seen it in a while, since like 2013, but in checking Untappd just now looks like some people checked in in January. I was last there a few weeks ago and did not see it on tap. So not sure if those are errant check ins or if they put it out...they do a lot of one-off/firkin stuff so who knows. If I see it on I'll let you know but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back