Barrel aged beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suric

Reaction score
What do you use to top off your beer kegged in a whiskey barrel? I know I've lost some volume. Approx a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just added some more of the same beer. When I brewed, I made more than the barrel would hold, primed and bottled it. When I was checking to see how the taste was coming along, I added a couple of bottles of the now carbed beer to top it back off. If you don't have any of the beer left, not sure what you could do. Do you have something similar to top off with? Buy some commercial beer to do the same? Probably not what you want to do as it will change your beer. But if you don't top off, I'd be concerned about oxidation.

How much longer to plan on leaving in the barrel? Could you bottle / keg now?

I purged the barrel and the wort with a few blasts of CO2. I do have a similar beer an American stout that I will use to too off what I was short of. Who knows this could be a new blended porter that will keg for 3-4 months. I plan on checking it end of April or May. The barrel absorbed approx one fifth of my favorite bourbon. There was no visible signs if leakage in the barrel so I assume it was all taken into the wood. Should be interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After several different discussions I am left with mixed feelings about aging my beer. I believed that 4 months would be ok. Now I'm not sure. Any thoughts? I will not be around for 4 months to check. I am willing to let it sit and try it for the first time beginning May. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. My whiskey barrel is sound. I purged with CO2. I even gave the wort a blast after the keg was full. I've had different opinions as to the time needed to age. I'm looking for a little more insight..

Not sure you need to age in a barrel that long but it depends on what you are getting to do. You will have volume loss from evaporation so either top it off or just expect less end product.

If you are barrel ageing to get the wood and vanilla flavors the 2 months should be plenty but it won't hurt to go longer.

What size barrel, and how many times has it been used before? Those are pretty important factors in determining the length of time to age. Smaller barrels will impart more flavor much more quickly, and also will allow more oxygen exchange. If it's a five gallon barrel that's never been used before, or has only had one round of spirits in it like you alluded, I would think four or five months will be too long. Not only will the oak flavor be overpowering, but you have definite oxygenation issues.

Latest posts

Back