Barleywine Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
For Christmas I got a two of NB's Saison de Noel kit. I brewed the first one and it turned out pretty good, but I just don't know if I want another 5 gallons. My initial thought was to do it and use some Brett, but I've since changed my mind on that too. I've been trying to decide what to do with it the last few days and this afternoon I thought that if I did a partial mash I could probably turn it into a Barleywine. So...

1) After some initial calculations I figure if I dropped the volume to 3 gallons, did a mash with 5 lbs of Pale Malt, and added the 6 lbs of LME along with the steeping grains that came with the kit (8 oz Aromatic, 4 oz Carafa III, and 4 oz CaraAroma) I'd be in the neighborhood I want to be in. My concern is with the Carafa III causing some flavors that shouldn't be there. I can't really separate if from the others it's already mixed in with the Aromatic and CaraAroma. What say the HBT collective?

2) My other question regards hopping...the kit came with an ounce of Magnum and I would like to shoot for an English style Barleywine so not hopped to high heaven. With the help of Brewtarget I figured 0.75 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes would put it somewhere around 61 IBU which is says is about a little above mid-range for an English Barleywine (OG is clocking in around 1.107). Does that sound about right or should I up it some

3) Lastly a question about technique. I was just going to put 5 lbs of Pale Malt with the specialty grains into the mash tun with about 2 gallons of water and then sparge with about another 2 gallons (specific volumes have yet to be determined). Add the LME to the collected wort and fire away. I may sparge a third time and boil that down to a lovely sticky syrup to add back in. Does this sound fine or would I be better off doing adding about 4 gallons to the grain and just doing a single runoff?

And go...

Back