Barleywine, O2 and time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of barleywine @1.113. I created 2 2L starters of wyeast London ale III and pumped O2 for about 30 seconds at pitch. ... I've read I should pump O2 again within 12 hours after pitch.... Which I didn't do. It's been 48 hours... Has too much time elapsed to pump more O2 or have I done enough and just leave it alone

I had massive blow off within 24 hours, which means a healthy pitch... But should I do more

I don't have my copy of _Yeast_ handy, so this is from memory. But if you had a big blowoff within 24 hours, you're probably out of the growth phase of the yeast, which is what they need oxygen for. So additional O2 at this point won't be very useful and could just oxidize the beer.

Keep us posted. I've been wanting to use this yeast in a barley wine for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Yes, yeast take up most of the O2 during the lag phase to create sterols and unsaturated fatty acids. You are past that just let it roll.....pardon the pun.

Back