Barley Wine Mash Mess-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronlord

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of brewing a ten gallon batch of barley wine and through a few mistakes misreading my thermometer, i just realized that I've been mashing at 165 for the first 15 minutes of the mash. :( Did I just screw up this batch?

I subsequently added about a gallon of cold water and that brought the temp down to around 150. I don't know if this was a bad idea as well but felt I should do something immediately?

I'm about 30 minutes through the mash now. Any feedback is appreciated, guys. Hope someone can help me out before I rack to carboys.

I dont know.. Might be enough to see some change, as I've read that conversion happens pretty quickly.. Might be on the border line edge.

You should find out by the time you drain and check your pre boil gravity.

Thanks, guys! It looks like the conversion completed - the OG was right where it was supposed to be - efficiency over 80%. Pitched a couple big starters and it's fermenting vigorously in 6 hours w White Labs' San Diego Super Yeast. Hope it finishes low enough. I'll post an update when I know. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back