Barley Growers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Is anyone else growing barley for home brewing? I am wondering what others due on a smaller scale to prevent weeds and fungus in their barely crop, if anything. Thank you!

PS wasn't sure where else to post this.

Well, you could always hit up Monsanto for a sponsorship and go with Round-Up to keep the weeds down.

But then you'd be using GMO barley, if that bothers you.

I'm not against the use of round up, but I do keep it away from anything I plan to ingest. Generally use vinegar to kill weeds near the garden that I don't just pull. Plus I don't know how you spray either without getting some on the barley.

I'm not against the use of round up, but I do keep it away from anything I plan to ingest. Generally use vinegar to kill weeds near the garden that I don't just pull. Plus I don't know how you spray either without getting some on the barley.
It's not just what you (and your neighbors) spray. It's also what goes in and stays (builds up) in the ground that ends up in your homegrown products.
I'd stay away from Roundup and similar products. Since you have the choice, be or go organic!

It's not just what you (and your neighbors) spray. It's also what goes in and stays (builds up) in the ground that ends up in your homegrown products.
I'd stay away from Roundup and similar products. Since you have the choice, be or go organic!

So what would be a good organic product for weed and fungus control?

I'll weigh in with a couple of ideas. I've not grow barley, but I do grow hops, plus grapes, apples, plums, peaches, pears, etc. And I live in an area know for fungus problems with both plants and people. I do include stuff that's considered 'organic' in my spray schedules. SO, with all that said, the 2 products I suggest you try on a small scale to see how they work are Bonide Liquid Copper and Serenade. Serenade is a biological fungus control product. Follow the labels for product application. As with all products considered organic, it may not work as well as some chemicals, but the secret is persistent application of the appropriate schedule. Please let me know how this works out.

I have grown barley and wheat for nearly 40 years among many other crops.

Weed control could be a debatable subject. The issue above is everyone run to the Glyphosate idea. Why? It (Roundup) and Monsanto is plastered everywhere. IMO just drop those words and lets seek chemicals or methods that are tried and true from a conventional stand point. The first most common would be 2-4D, but in our modern age there are many more selections that are much safer on the crop and target more weeds.

I agree with the part of it's what is in the soil and not so much the plant. Again we are told to stay away from RU. Glyphosate breaks down very rapidly in and on the soil especially when exposed to the sun. There is a study that it does effect some soil microbes. BTW I am anything but a Monsanto fan boy.

How do you know that you have or will have a fungus issue? If there is an issue in the area then be pro-active not curative. The above suggestion of Copper is a good start if you want to stay away from fungicides. There are several fungicides out there but having to purchase them on a small scale would be expensive or end up lasting for a very long time. For example the rate may be 8oz/acre but the product will only come in a 2.5 gallon jug.

I have grown barley and wheat for nearly 40 years among many other crops.

Weed control could be a debatable subject. The issue above is everyone run to the Glyphosate idea. Why? It (Roundup) and Monsanto is plastered everywhere. IMO just drop those words and lets seek chemicals or methods that are tried and true from a conventional stand point. The first most common would be 2-4D, but in our modern age there are many more selections that are much safer on the crop and target more weeds.

I agree with the part of it's what is in the soil and not so much the plant. Again we are told to stay away from RU. Glyphosate breaks down very rapidly in and on the soil especially when exposed to the sun. There is a study that it does effect some soil microbes. BTW I am anything but a Monsanto fan boy.

How do you know that you have or will have a fungus issue? If there is an issue in the area then be pro-active not curative. The above suggestion of Copper is a good start if you want to stay away from fungicides. There are several fungicides out there but having to purchase them on a small scale would be expensive or end up lasting for a very long time. For example the rate may be 8oz/acre but the product will only come in a 2.5 gallon jug.

Thank you both Ohioan55 and JS Metalcraft!

I didn't address weed control. I don't know how large an area we are talking about. Small areas can be covered with black plastic to control weeds to avoid chemicals. I do this for my mother's garden plot to kill off the winter/early spring weeds. @JSmetalcraft, I avoid broad leaf killers like 2-4D due to having a small vineyard on our 56 acres. Many of the 2-4D type chemicals are deadly to grape vines and I suffer damage every year from nearby farms that spray stuff like dicamba/2-4D mixes. I've discovered with growing a vineyard that these chemicals can carry some distance (ie, a mile). I do use Glyphosate products, but generally only on the fence rows and am careful with it's application. Mechanical weed control is always an option, but don't know of way to do this with such crops as barley.

PS. Not sure how a per-emergence chemical such as preen would work with barley. Check the labeling for Preen as I think there's a warning about using it on stuff you are going to consume.

Well, you could always hit up Monsanto for a sponsorship and go with Round-Up to keep the weeds down.

But then you'd be using GMO barley, if that bothers you.
??? Just using Round-Up doesn't make it GMO - Unless you're saying tht with a Monsanto sponsorship comes the seed?
But judicious, limited use of weed killer can help, and is probably the only thing to keep them out, unless you want to spend hours on your hands and knees every day picking weeds.

I didn't address weed control. I don't know how large an area we are talking about. Small areas can be covered with black plastic to control weeds to avoid chemicals. I do this for my mother's garden plot to kill off the winter/early spring weeds. @JSmetalcraft, I avoid broad leaf killers like 2-4D due to having a small vineyard on our 56 acres. Many of the 2-4D type chemicals are deadly to grape vines and I suffer damage every year from nearby farms that spray stuff like dicamba/2-4D mixes. I've discovered with growing a vineyard that these chemicals can carry some distance (ie, a mile). I do use Glyphosate products, but generally only on the fence rows and am careful with it's application. Mechanical weed control is always an option, but don't know of way to do this with such crops as barley.

PS. Not sure how a per-emergence chemical such as preen would work with barley. Check the labeling for Preen as I think there's a warning about using it on stuff you are going to consume.

I have both Preen and the Preen and Feed in the garage and both labels give directions on how to apply around vegetables. I see other warnings about keeping it out of your eyes, away from marine life etc but nothing to suggest it isn't safe to use around plants that will be consumed. My barley patch is only 500 square feet and I broadcast the seeds. So far my sprouts are between 3-6" high.

Without even looking at a Preen label I would say no way. Barley is not a broad leaf vegetable but instead it is a grass. Willing to bet preen has some control over grass even though it is a per-emergant. Beings your 3-6" high now is about the time to spray if you plan to use any contact type chemicals. You should then be good to go the rest of season as the barley will shade the ground as long as it is thick enough or tillers out real well.

I had a vineyard across the road from me. The owner always said that grapes can smell 2-4d from a mile away and get sick.

Without even looking at a Preen label I would say no way. Barley is not a broad leaf vegetable but instead it is a grass. Willing to bet preen has some control over grass even though it is a per-emergant. Beings your 3-6" high now is about the time to spray if you plan to use any contact type chemicals. You should then be good to go the rest of season as the barley will shade the ground as long as it is thick enough or tillers out real well.

I had a vineyard across the road from me. The owner always said that grapes can smell 2-4d from a mile away and get sick.

I have a vineyard and I can tell you that is indeed a fact.

Im planning on starting small Barley plots in my backyard and will let you know if I discover any tricks. I do try to garden Organically though I cant control what neighbors use and spray. I have grown Rye and Oats with out any issue zone 5 midwest.

Thanks for reviving this! Last year I planted two plots of barley. One was about 400 square feet of 2 row and the other was a smaller plot of 6 row robust. Bought them from Sustainable Seed Company. I ended up not trying to preen around any of it but periodically tried to just pull weeds where I could reach them. Weeds were not a huge problem as it turned out.

Had other issues with the 2 row however. Had some heavy rain storms and I will say 50% of it lodged before harvest. First couple times it wasn't so bad and I actually helped boost it back up. The third time knocked it down for good. Nonetheless I was able to harvest about 16 lbs of seed from it, planted 2-3 pounds if I recall correctly.

The 6 row robust stood up much better but since it was experimental I only planted about 50 square feet and got a couple pounds out of that.

From both of these I malted and brewed my first true garden to glass batch last month. It's been bottle conditioning so I haven't tried it yet but in a couple weeks I'll be cracking the first bottle.

Did some research on more lodge resistant varieties of malting barley and purchased a 50 lb sack of AAC Synergy from Seedway. They came to Ohio for a farm show and my son met the rep in his home town and literally only paid 20 bucks for it so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

One lesson learned and you couldn't do this on a small scale but I intend to set several stepping stones in my plot this year so I can walk through without trampling the crop to pull weeds, etc. Hopefully the AAC Synergy is more lodge resistant as advertised!

Last edited:
Back