barley free beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooch0325

Reaction score
Despite it probably not being a beer at all....any good recipes. I am allergic to barley, yes a painful affliction and don't need gluten free. Apple wheat??? Using Apple juice concentrate for sugar instead of malt???? Any sugesstions recipes?

I was reading Radical Brewing again last night and seem to remember a couple recipes listed in there that used no barley at all.

Thank you. But don't necessarily need gluten free. Just barley free. Any ideas on what can be done with wheat without barley/malt. Anyone have experience?

Thks nightshade will Ck it out.

No problem, it also has a chapter on a wide variety of grains used in brewing as well as what it adds for flavor or use as a base grain.

A great reference book for thinking outside the box a bit.

If I remember correctly, Popular Machanics has a couple of recipes on its web site that are all wheat based. One I recall was a Blood Orange that I bookmarked because it sounded really good.

Ok looked back on the pages and here are a few grains you may want to look into:

Sorghum
Spelt
Wheat
Amaranth
Buckwheat
Maize
Corn
Wild rice

Some are adjuncts others can be base grains but you can mix and match for flavor, color and general variety. A little research should get some results especially with sorghum as it is common in parts of Africa to have sorghum beer as opposed to barley based beer and Spelt is a pretty traditional grain as well.

I think this the the recipe looks good. Pure wheat malt is could solve my problem. I thought all Malts had barley...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/home/how-to-plans/beer-recipes-how-to-home-brew-hefeweizen

I was thinking about just using around #9 wheat grain. There wouldnt be any barley then.

I forget what the wheat extract conversion is, so I just go with the usuall 1.25 per pound of extract and round up when its the base grain. Never really ran into any problems that way.

I was thinking about just using around #9 wheat grain. There wouldnt be any barley then.

I forget what the wheat extract conversion is, so I just go with the usuall 1.25 per pound of extract and round up when its the base grain. Never really ran into any problems that way.

Thanks for this recipe. It is tasty. Followed it exactly except for the blood orange. Wanted to taste the base. Very good, slight bitter finish that is corrected with fresh squeeze of lemon or orange.

This is the first legitimate beer ive had in years. That gluten free stuff is horrible.

THANK YOU XTIAN

Latest posts

Back