Bare minimum equipment needed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
Hi all,

So with Christmas coming around, I thought I'd ask for kegging equipment this year. I have one ball lock corny already but that's it. I'm hoping to get enough gear to be able to bottle from my one keg with a beer gun. My friend has a beer gun that he's indicated I could use to learn with. Once I'm comfortable with its operation, I'll buy my own but that'll be at a later date.

I'm hoping someone here can let me know the things I need to ask for. My assumptions are:

-CO2 tank (is a five pound tank useful?)
-Regulator (do I need a double regulator? how do I split the gas for the beer gun?)
-Tank to ball lock gas line with gas ball lock connector
-Liquid side connector for my keg

Would that be it? I think my friend has all the beer lines associated with the beer gun and its operation. Anything I'm missing?

Help make this a merry Christmas for me please :mug:

Does the regulator install directly onto the top of the CO2 tank? or do I need a line to run between the two? I don't think i do right? Then do I need a manifold to split the gas for the beer gun or a double regulator?

I'm sure these are stupid questions but I've never dealt with kegging gear before, only bottles...

Thanks again!

A 5 lb tank is plenty (for a 2-3 tap kegerator or just carbing and filling bottles). I get a lot of use out of one fill (granted there are no leaks). Carbing, dispensing, purging, cleaning lines, flushing out starsan, and pressurizing for storage with one tank. I can do all of those things for at least 5-6 brews with one fill. And co2 is pretty cheap. Just make sure you know where you're going to get it before hand. Some places just fill your tank others exchange it. No need to buy a pretty new aluminum tank if they're going to exchange it. I'd check out some welding /gas supply shops for options.

If you're mostly concerned about upfront costs then a 5lb will do you fine. But for recurring costs a 20lb tank can save you a lot. Near me i've got a few options for refills exchanges. My LHBS will refill a 5lb tank for $13 or a 20lb tank for $30. That's a pretty big difference per lb. I then found another place (arc3 gases for me, also praxair is another popular one) that will exchange a 5lb for $13 or exchange a 20lb for $17....bingo. I suggest you look around on google in your area.

For me thats saving $35 per fill over a 5lb, 2 20lb fills pays for the difference in cost over the initial 20lb tank purchase. Even less if you can find the tank used somewhere.

Upgrades might even be an option for you. I have a 5lb that i bought off craigslist and that same place will exchange my 5lb for a 20lb for $72 filled. Deduct $17 for the fill and that's $55 for the upgrade. Pretty decent option.

Back