Bar builds? Is there really no thread for bar builds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from the excellent thread that Chainsawbrewing created back in 2009 I can't find anything about home diy bar builds and the search here is still terrible (like most other forums). So let's create a bar build/DIY thread here. Now. With passion.

I'm moving later this month and will finally have a basement large enough to have a bar top. I've been looking around on the web and there are some good pictures and plans but so far this page: http://www.brandozines.com/bar/ has roughly the dimensions I'm looking for. There was another thorough process description with a fish tank but the hell with the fish, this is my bar dammit.

From the above site this photo demonstrates what I'd like to do, complete with mini-fridge, and I'd also like to incorporate my kegorator into the build.
bar%20001.jpg

I won't get to start on the building stage of this project until at least mid-July but I'm working on the plans a bit. Any advice? Post your own photos and/or ideas.

And none of this stuff because f the Cubs:
Club400_FanCave_Control4_Bar_1.jpg

Man nothing more exciting than having your own bar to hang at. I'm too lazy/unskilled to put together anything that wouldn't fall apart as soon as I put a coaster on it, so I had someone else make it, and I wouldn't taint your thread with pictures of a build that someone else built. Looks like you've got a great start there, the planning is the fun part.

There is a spot in the forum with some other builds, check this out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/bar-setups/

One thing I really regret about mine is the lack of water/plumbing. I thought I could get by (and I can), but I really wish I'd gone through with it.

Man nothing more exciting than having your own bar to hang at. I'm too lazy/unskilled to put together anything that wouldn't fall apart as soon as I put a coaster on it, so I had someone else make it, and I wouldn't taint your thread with pictures of a build that someone else built. Looks like you've got a great start there, the planning is the fun part.

There is a spot in the forum with some other builds, check this out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/bar-setups/

One thing I really regret about mine is the lack of water/plumbing. I thought I could get by (and I can), but I really wish I'd gone through with it.
Hey thanks for the link, and honestly you could taint the thread with those other photos you mentioned as I've already tainted it with the (yech) Cubs.

What part about the plumbing are you missing? I mean, are you having a whole bunch of dirty glasses or just want the ability to have water stat? I've been thinking about plumbing as well but probably won't build this as a wet bar. But I'm all ears for why that may be a bad idea.

So... I'm guessing you're not a Cubs fan :D

Not so much the dirty glasses, I've got my brewery washup sink not too far off if I've got a bunch of washing to do. It's more the dump ice and quick-rinse from a Jack and Coke, or get a quick glass of water kind of thing. Honestly I could do with the tiniest of sinks and I might do that and just put a bucket under it in the cabinet or something just for convenience. There is at least a cold water line plumbed in, as I have an icemaker in a drawer freezer (which I also recommend, damn you can never have too much ice on hand)

I can't imagine any reason why it would be a bad idea, for me it was just a matter of cost, I was re-doing the basement and the bar was nowhere near a wastewater line, did not seem worth the thousands to drill through all of the concrete floor just so I could dump a cup of ice.

So... I'm guessing you're not a Cubs fan :D

Not so much the dirty glasses, I've got my brewery washup sink not too far off if I've got a bunch of washing to do. It's more the dump ice and quick-rinse from a Jack and Coke, or get a quick glass of water kind of thing. Honestly I could do with the tiniest of sinks and I might do that and just put a bucket under it in the cabinet or something just for convenience. There is at least a cold water line plumbed in, as I have an icemaker in a drawer freezer (which I also recommend, damn you can never have too much ice on hand)

I can't imagine any reason why it would be a bad idea, for me it was just a matter of cost, I was re-doing the basement and the bar was nowhere near a wastewater line, did not seem worth the thousands to drill through all of the concrete floor just so I could dump a cup of ice.
That makes sense. I'll probably reevaluate whether or not it's feasible in the location I have but I wasn't planning on going that in depth. Good pointers though, thanks.

If you want to lose an afternoon looking at bar builds: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=386054
I knew there had to be one. Thanks much.

Very nice. I like the backsplash tile/stone work in particular. And is that Corona bottle wearing a sarape?

Thx, I appreciate it, the guys that made it did the hard work and get the credit, I just get to enjoy it. Just realized you can't see the foot rail in the pix, I'd recommend including one in your build as it really adds a lot. Backsplash was off the shelf at Home Depot. All I did was the glass shelves, the lighting, and the tap/drip tray. I got EXTREMELY lucky that there happened to be premade tempered glass shelves at Home Depot that were the perfect length (width? longness? they fit nice) Glycol mix runs through the wall into my brewery to keep the beer lines and tap chilly. I opted for drawer fridge/freezer combo as opposed to one with a door so that I didn't have to crouch down and dig into the back of it for something.

Yes, absolutely its wearing a sarape. The little hat even has a bottle opener in it. :ban:

Oh, and I don't know if you have kids (mine are still little), but I also planned ahead on having one of the cabinet doors having a lock, so I can lock up the hooch when they're teenagers.

Thx, I appreciate it, the guys that made it did the hard work and get the credit, I just get to enjoy it. Just realized you can't see the foot rail in the pix, I'd recommend including one in your build as it really adds a lot. Backsplash was off the shelf at Home Depot. All I did was the glass shelves, the lighting, and the tap/drip tray. I got EXTREMELY lucky that there happened to be premade tempered glass shelves at Home Depot that were the perfect length (width? longness? they fit nice) Glycol mix runs through the wall into my brewery to keep the beer lines and tap chilly. I opted for drawer fridge/freezer combo as opposed to one with a door so that I didn't have to crouch down and dig into the back of it for something.

Yes, absolutely its wearing a sarape. The little hat even has a bottle opener in it. :ban:
Still looks great. I considered a combo but we already have a mini-fridge so crouching and digging and swearing will be part of the fun.

Oh, and I don't know if you have kids (mine are still little), but I also planned ahead on having one of the cabinet doors having a lock, so I can lock up the hooch when they're teenagers.
I've got two (2 and 4) and I'll be adding some child-proofing onto my build. Honestly, that's been a concern of mine since the first one was born, that I'd eventually have to lock up the booze. Right now I have a liquor cabinet will no door on it so I have to swap out at some point or jerry-rig something.

2 and 4, what great ages... mine are 9, 8, and 6. You've got this yet to look forward to, when they're old enough to help:

Grain[1].jpg

Finally in the new house. However, before I can start building I found that the basement carpeting has mildew and so does the wood paneling and baseboard sections on the walls. This just set the project back by at least a month. I'll post a picture later of the intended space for the bar. It's got a pre-existing shelf that I'm going to use as a back bar so at least that's one less thing.

Here's a picture of the current space and a quick plan on where things would go. Bar would either run J or L shaped, TV would be mounted on the wall not quite in the corner (also need to put an outlet up there), shelves with the books and glasses would serve as the back bar and have added mirror and stone backsplash in place of some of the shelves. I just ordered this and just the bezel from the arcade game here. I can't find the listing now so I must've grabbed the only one. Those two items will go on the back bar.

First thing though, we have to rip out the old carpet since it smells like mouse piss and mold. I sprayed Concrobium last night and used some enzyme spray to eliminate the mouse odor but that's just so I don't have to bathe in the smell when I enter this room. Tile is going in the main area and I might rip out the paneling and baseboards too.

mock up.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the picture I think I'd move the backsplash stone to the line where the paneling is and extend it to the window frame on the right, eliminating the stone on the shelves and just have two mirrors. I'll put the Space Invaders bezel and marquee on the mirror.

Flooring is finally in. Now trim and cap for over the paneling, which isn't coming out since it's nailed and glued to the goddamn drywall. It figures that's the one thing the previous owners built solid in the house.

tile floor2.jpg

Well I have been contemplating a bar build for years. I have a brew room in my basement right now that I can build the room out into a bar/brew-room. My plans are all in my head and drawn out on paper so no fancy pictures here at all, at least not yet. I have some old bowling lane that I was going to use for a shuffle board lane but I have not worked on that project yet so I think I'll cut it almost in half, I need 20" for the shuffle board and the rest I will use for the bar top. Right now it is also 24' long and my bar is going to be about 12' x 8' with a small 3' return to the wall. I am also going to have my keezer under it with a three tap system installed to the bar top. I am planning on a half wall behind the bar to the brew-room open to see in but with some single pane glass to keep it clean inside. I am using reclaimed pallet wood to cover the bottom half of the bar at 42" from the floor and I have a piece of railroad iron as my footer. I'm planning on storage underneath for glasses and a microwave. The total room size including the brew-room will be about 24'x12' with a game room on the other side with my toys (8' pool table, pinball, darts, shuffle board and a MAME setup). My only problem is that I have no plumbing there and I can setup a pump to pump it out of a sink but not really for any solid waste like spent grains. The plan is to also install recessed LED lights in the ceiling tiles, 2 TVs and a video game system.

Well I have been contemplating a bar build for years. I have a brew room in my basement right now that I can build the room out into a bar/brew-room. My plans are all in my head and drawn out on paper so no fancy pictures here at all, at least not yet. I have some old bowling lane that I was going to use for a shuffle board lane but I have not worked on that project yet so I think I'll cut it almost in half, I need 20" for the shuffle board and the rest I will use for the bar top. Right now it is also 24' long and my bar is going to be about 12' x 8' with a small 3' return to the wall. I am also going to have my keezer under it with a three tap system installed to the bar top. I am planning on a half wall behind the bar to the brew-room open to see in but with some single pane glass to keep it clean inside. I am using reclaimed pallet wood to cover the bottom half of the bar at 42" from the floor and I have a piece of railroad iron as my footer. I'm planning on storage underneath for glasses and a microwave. The total room size including the brew-room will be about 24'x12' with a game room on the other side with my toys (8' pool table, pinball, darts, shuffle board and a MAME setup). My only problem is that I have no plumbing there and I can setup a pump to pump it out of a sink but not really for any solid waste like spent grains. The plan is to also install recessed LED lights in the ceiling tiles, 2 TVs and a video game system.

Sounds very cool. The footer for the bar seems to be the most expensive material, outside of the bar rail molding, so anything like what you described is a huge savings. Post some pictures if you ever get a chance.

Base trim and paneling cap just got finished today by the contractor I'm going with. Now I can paint the walls, replace the access door (contractor), put my crapload of collectibles up on the wall, and then start work on the bar.

Firggin tiles are not staying down in some small areas. Installers are coming back to see what went wrong. They used the adhesive that the tile manufacturer requires for warranty. Maybe some of it was defective or they didn't wait long enough before throwing the tile down. I don't know.

All this means is that the beginning of the bar build just got pushed back another couple of weeks so I should be able to start by, oh say, next June...

Downstairs bathroom painted, pic to follow at some point. I prioritized that since there's been some issues with mold and mildew in the basement so everything is getting coats of paint with mold-inhibitor.

Downstairs bathroom painted, pic to follow at some point. I prioritized that since there's been some issues with mold and mildew in the basement so everything is getting coats of paint with mold-inhibitor.

Well? How was the epic party that I'm assuming you had there last night? :tank:

edit: Oops now I see you said F the cubs

Bar is finally finished/useable. Going to make a sign to hang above it at some point but right now I'm just excited to use it. 6 tap Keezer, live edge pine bar top with live edge backsplash, and custom oak&metal swivel bar stools.

IMG_20161020_181455.jpg

IMG_20161021_190956.jpg

IMG_20161020_185705.jpg

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to the bar at this point what with so many other projects (restorative, foundation, mold, etc.) taking precedence. Everyone post whatever bar build you've got going here in the meantime.

Started this "J" shaped bar last winter in my shop. Built the structure and case frames in three sections. The long straight section with a liquor cabinet at the end, the curved section, and the short straight section with the kegerator. Moved everything to the house in the summer, married and anchored the structural sections, installed the face frames and the tops. Still have to install the cabinet floors, toe kick, wrap the basement post with wood on the left and build the doors. The curved doors will be a challenge. Just visible in one of the pictures is the radius on the flooring at the same center as the bar curved section to compliment the bar design. The outer skin will be stonework that matches a woodstove hearth in the basement. I haven't decided on a foot rail yet, stuck between brass and a more rustic twisted rope in steel rod design with a wrought iron look. Work has slowed since the monster is out of my shop and useable.

basement bar front2.jpg

basement bar inside.jpg

Back