Banjo-style or jet-burner style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquesG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my brew-stand (single tier, three spot) and haven't been able to figure out which burner is best for a propane heated setup. I see lots of discussion about the jets for NG and some for LP, but anyone have thoughts as to which are best for cost/performance? I can't use NG because no proximity availability of NG. I've heard that the jets can be hard to regulate for trying to hit a temp on target. I'd appreciate your opinion.

I have the Bayou Classic SP10. I've only done two boils on it so far but I have no complaints. I'm using LP and haven't had a problem getting 6 gallons of wort up to a boil. I also use it to bring strike water up to temp. My kettle has a built-in thermometer so as long as I'm watching when it gets close, I don't have a problem getting it to the proper temp. And even if I overshoot, it only takes a few minutes of stirring while the burner is off to get it back down. Hope that helps.

Thanks, 369B. I have a single burner (SQ14) that I have been using that is also banjo-style and it's worked just fine, but since I'm going to larger batches and am going to build the stand, I will need to get some more stuff. I just saw a lot of guys talking about their jet systems on another thread and hadn't seen any discussion on burner style preferences and why one would choose one over the other.

I have one of each on my setup. Both work about the same. The big difference is the noise. My jet burner is LOUD. By comparison the banjo, sometimes I have to see the flame to make sure it's on.

I've brewed with both a banjo-style burner and a jet-style burner. I think the jet is louder, but the advantage is that it is more efficient. At least it throws off less heat outside your kettle. To illustrate this point, a buddy and I used to brew with keggles and a banjo-style burner. Because the keggle lacks a flat bottom, we used a grill grate from his charcoal grill to add stability. The best part about brewing at his house was that we could grill dogs and brats on the grate during the boil. The burner was throwing this much heat around the 17" keggle. When I finally bought a place with a yard, I adopted the same setup with a keggle and a burner that was unstable with a keggle absent a bbq grate. However, that burner I got was an SP10 with a jet-style burner. I don't bother to bbq on that grate during the boil because there frankly isn't enough wasted heat to cook brats very well. Maybe my burner is throwing off less BTU's, but since we always turn down the heat during the boil (boiling wort hotter doesn't raise the temp or make 60 mins any faster, so why waste gas), I think that the jet is anecdotally more efficient at boiling wort without a shroud or wasting heat.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The efficiency thing is important with the cost of propane these days. I'll be using keggles for the HLT and MT, but the BK is a 15 gallon kettle with a flat bottom and I'll be using a stand. The noise issue is a bit of a pain, but for the time it takes to heat 11-12 gallons of water, maybe worth the noise to get the efficiency.

I heard that if you screw up your spacing with the jet style there is potential to burn a hole in your kettle because the heat is more focused. Any truth to this?

I heard that if you screw up your spacing with the jet style there is potential to burn a hole in your kettle because the heat is more focused. Any truth to this?

Find whomever told you that and give him/her a smack across the face for being a moron...

Cheers! ;)

I would recommend a Blichmann, I think the heat is more balanced across the bottom of the pot, increasing efficiency, but also reducing the potential of scorching.

Back