Banana wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theron.hall

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my first banana wine.
I bought 3 lbs of bananas and since have discovered that pesticides may be an issue.
What are your thoughts? Will I be all right to wash them and use them or should I scrap those bananas and make a banana cake until I can get some organic ones?
I'm thinking of utilizing Vanilla molasses and brown sugar in the recipe. Any thoughts or advice on this idea?
Thanks for any suggestions and input in advance.

I think you ask a great question. The irony is that I have made a couple of batches of banana wine (and mead) and I use only the peel. I may be wrong but my understanding is that the US does not permit the importation of bananas unless the pesticides used are known to be "safe" for human consumption. The problem is that if you want to err on the side of caution the fact is that some of the pesticides are taken up by the root system and the fruit inside the peel may contain the pesticides and the skin is porous so chemical sprays might still get beneath the peel...

I feel as though I was leaning the way of your thoughts. I was unaware of the US standard for pesticides, but I figured it was worth asking since I had so little credible knowledge on the topic.
Thank you for your response.

Back