Banana Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonjelleaux

Reaction score
So I've been ripening about 9 pounds of bananas in order to start the fermenting into banana wine the next couple of days, and I'm wondering if anybody here has any advice or experience? I've brought up the idea of banana wine to a number of brewers in the area and honestly everybody thinks it'll turn out gross. I'm certainly not convinced it won't, for some reason my brain just cannot move past the sort of creamy banana image, but the curiosity just has to be answered.

Anyone here ferment some bananas? How did it turn out? What would you do again, or do differently?

@Yooper has a banana wine recipe on here somewhere, if I recall correctly... She'll know what to do... Google for it "yooper bannana wine" ... you'll be set! That gal seems to know what she's doing! :yes:

I've made banana wine. Looks like I used about 2 or 3 times the amount of bananas in Yooper's recipe and I won't add raisins (oxidized grapes). Mine cleared bright and tasted a lot like a Sauterne. I was able to enjoy this a few months after pitching (71B) and there was no "heat". It was about 12% ABV

Thanks guys, this is all really good information here. I'm optimistic.

Bernardsmith, did you use any clarifiers or just wait and rack to clear the wine?

lemonjelleaux,
I have made 5 gallon batches of Bananna wine every 5 yrs for long time.I use 25 lbs old old black spotted nannas. Peptic enzyme & amylase enzyme is required. I rack & rack it for up to 6 months or more.
It's my favorite! Of all types I made ..ever!
It's also great for fixing weak bodied wines.
I usually put some peels in ferment. It adds the nice Carmel color. I NEVER had any Bananna flavor or smell! It much improves for every year bottled.
Steve mccull
Aka: slim49

post, member: 252041"]So I've been ripening about 9 pounds of bananas in order to start the fermenting into banana wine the next couple of days, and I'm wondering if anybody here has any advice or experience? I've brought up the idea of banana wine to a number of brewers in the area and honestly everybody thinks it'll turn out gross. I'm certainly not convinced it won't, for some reason my brain just cannot move past the sort of creamy banana image, but the curiosity just has to be answered.

Anyone here ferment some bananas? How did it turn out? What would you do again, or do differently?[/QUOTE]

Back