Banana Split Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
So I actually just had a dream that I ordered this at Founders which of course didn't look anything like Founders in my dream. The idea for a beer though was intriguing to me. Has anybody ever played around with an idea like this? I'm thinking maybe like a basic milk stout, with banana puree and some form of chocolate in secondary or something like that. Something crazy like a hefe yeast I suppose would produce banana esters but I wouldn't want the clove in there.

There's a banana peanut butter beer thread right now in the recipes/ingredients board...

You could use a hefe style yeast at medium temps to get the banana flavor while going with a regular milk stout for the rest.

I had a banana split stout in a bar in San Diego this year; pretty sure it was the Thomas Creek Banana Split Stout (though not certain). Regardless, it looks like Thomas Creek also does homebrew kits. Might be worth contacting them to see what kind of yeast they used in their brew.

I wasn't a huge fan. But think that might have been as much because I don't think banana and chocolate go well together in beer :)

Thanks for the suggestions. That peanut butter banana idea also sounds really good. I know some people were talking about baking the oil out of the peanut butter, but I think if you get organic peanut butter the oil will settle to the top anyway in my experience.

I don't mean to up the ante, but I distinctly remember cherry in Banana Splits...

A little extract? Or too much?

:D

I have my attempt at a Banana Split Imperial Milk Choc Stout going right now. I used wlp300 and made my own milk choc stout recipe to go with. So far it smells really good. Almost like chocolate banana pancakes. Just make sure you use enough lactose or vanilla bean to even out the bitterness of the chocolate.

And no need for cherry extract..just serve the brew with a cherry in it.

Hey KeyWest, how'd the Banana Split turn out? I'm about to brew a banana split stout with Norther Brewers Milk Stout all-grain recipe and WLP530 to give the banana undertones. Thinking about switching up the yeast though. Would love hear about the finished product.

I have my attempt at a Banana Split Imperial Milk Choc Stout going right now. I used wlp300 and made my own milk choc stout recipe to go with. So far it smells really good. Almost like chocolate banana pancakes. Just make sure you use enough lactose or vanilla bean to even out the bitterness of the chocolate.

And no need for cherry extract..just serve the brew with a cherry in it.

Wow that sounds good. Ya, let us know how it turns out, because I'm looking for a good beer to use in a beer float. Normally I use bourbon county stout with a little ice cream, but this may work too.

Its taking a while to get fully carbed. Theres a little of banana in the aroma but most of chocolate banana aroma I had earlier is basically non existent anymore. In the future I think Id rather use US 05 for my yeast and rack onto 5# of bananas in the 2ndary. I also didnt get as bold of a chocolate flavor as I would have liked. Hopefully after some more aging it will get better. As of now though, not a bad brew, but definitely not what I wanted.

That's to bad you lost the flavor/aroma. Now I'm kind of worried. I wasn't looking for either a strong chocolate or banana flavor, jus a hint that reminds you going to a Tastee Freeze when you're a kid with every sip. I had planned on using nibs in the secondary to impart the chocolate flavor. I'm kind of worried about racking on top of both banana and nibs. Brewing this weekend so I guess I'll have to decide sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info

Heres a recipe that the OP seems to really be happy with the results and uses real banana... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ba...e-all-grain-pic-intensive-291125/index18.html

As I said, when I do this again.. Id use a diff yeast, use real banana, and probably go for cocoa nibs as well. I think the outcome would have been better this way. As for racking onto both nibs and fruit... cant say im right or wrong but my gut tells me rack onto the bananas first in case it kick the fermentation back up. Then add the cocoa nibs after that. Post back with what you choose to do, and of course with results later on.

Back