Banana Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
Planning to brew a 10 gallon batch of Hefeweizen where the banana flavor is really pronounced. I plan to use 3068 as the yeast and I have read up on it a bit.

I know that warm fermentation temp is key to get those banana esters so I plan to ferment around 70.

I have also read that under-pitching and therefore stressing the yeast also helps promote banana. So my question is can I get away with one smack pack for 10 gallons of beer?

IMO its more about the higher fermentation temperature and 1 smack pack is under pitching 5 gallons so for 10 gallons you would really be under pitching and would experience huge lag time. I make starters for all my beer now and 2 stepped for my lag Hefe, I prefer to bring out the. Love so I ferment low, last batch at 61F

I have also read that under-pitching and therefore stressing the yeast also helps promote banana. So my question is can I get away with one smack pack for 10 gallons of beer?
i think that would be too much under-pitching. one pack per 5 gals is under-pitching, so going with 2 packs for 10 gals will put you at the same (underpitched) rate. 1 pack for 10 gals might not get the job done.

Back