Ball valve install help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatITGuy

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm installing a new weldless ball valve. Not 100% sure on the correct assembly. Please advise if I'm doing this correctly. The main thing I'm confused about is the placement of the nut.

Thanks
1517682092415.jpg

Take a good look at both sides of that lock nut.
If one side has a groove carved into it, that side should have an O-ring adjacent and no washer in between the O-ring and the inside kettle wall. One or both washers would then go on the outside to make up enough thickness to allow the nipple to be tightened down. You could add the black O-ring to the mix between outside kettle wall and a washer.

Otoh, if both sides of the lock nut are smooth, your image has all the parts in the right order. The kettle wall would be between the two O-rings. Be sure you've used plenty of tape because you'll be relying on the tape to keep liquid from traveling along the threads...

Cheers!

I don't feel he needs to use "plenty of tape" since the outer o-ring will stop the liquid which is traveling along the threads, that's the reason if you only use one o-ring (two are not nessecary), you mount it on the outside of the wall.

Back