Ball lock vs. pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMcPherson

Reaction score
Hi there everybody.
First time posting here in this forum. I hang out in the cider forum.

I have a few batches under my belt now and am beginning to look into kegging my ciders for aging, carbing and dispensing.

From what little I've been able to figure out, soda kegs seem to be the standard correct?
I see them listed as ball and pin lock.
What is recommended? Pros/cons of each?
This is the regulator that I have if that makes a difference:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...YH-762-commercial-grade-regulator.html?bstr=1

Ball Lock (Pepsi Style)
-Taller
-Smaller diameter
-More expensive

Pin Lock (Coke Style)
-Shorter
-Larger diameter
-Less expensive

Both function the same. Ball locks are more desirable to home brewers due to the smaller diameter as you can typically fit more into a given space.

I have 10 ball locks, since size (diameter) matters to me.

Whatever you go with though, you're going to want to stick with for the long haul for part consistency.

It doesn't really matter. The dimensions between the two are different so that may sway your decision. Pin locks are shorter and fatter. ball locks are taller and skinnier. this may be the factor on what type of fridge etc. you will be putting them into. other than that they have different disconnects.
I would say if the size doesn't matter which ever you can source the easiest and maybe the cheapest (pin locks are always cheaper, ball locks are the in demand) they both do the same thing.
You can always convert a pin lock to a ball lock, which are sold at some places.
For me i have been able to source pin lock kegs at scrap price and rebuild them for about 10 dollars so I will use pin lock kegs.
The one con i have with the pin lock kegs is that the standard lid does not have a pressure relief valve ( which is nice for purging gas etc.) Although I have found that there are lids with a relief valve that do work. I am in the process of working the pin lock lid with the domed style emergency relief valve ( to drill out and either solder in a relief valve or use a solder less valve but i have not done enough research for any particulars).

Hope this helps. also i think there is a sticky in the kegging forum.

Edit

I would also like to mention the most picky aspect of using the pin locks i have refurbished are the poppets...some of the posts are different heights and some poppets will not work with some posts. There is a universal poppet that says works for all....(i have gotten 2 types of these some with a really thick spring and some with a smaller diameter spring wire. There might have been a revision on the ones that have the smaller wire which in my opinion are the better option).

I don't have any info or experience for ball lock posts so hopefully someone can fill you in on those.

Thanks guys.
Are cask or commercial kegs any use to us?

I can't speak to casks, but commercial kegs can be, although they are typically cut open and used as kettles. As kegs they work, but require a much more complex cleaning regimen that is very difficult for a home brewer to execute properly.

Soda kegs are beautifully and elegantly simple.

I have had both. I started with a pin lock, but soon converted it to ball lock (the locks, at least... The lid still has no pressure relief) and have since bought more, careful to standardize on ball lock.

1) The relief valve. Super handy. Annoying when you need to vent a pin lock keg and it's not as simple or easy.

2) I find ball locks are easier to connect once a keg is pressurized, if you disconnect and reconnect for any reason. The pin lock kegs over worked with have been a lot more difficult to reattach after the fact.

3) My brew friends seem far more likely to have ball lock kegs, so when we share or loan equipment or parts out, it's easier when we're all standardized on the same system. So find out what your local friends are using, and give that some consideration.

Pin locks are more delicate in the hook up. We broke a couple of them before we switched over to ball lock. Granted they probably got broke after the keg kicked and we tried to hook up a new one, and may not of had all of our senses. None the less we have't broken a ball lock. I think our group has 16 ball lock kegs, and 4 that are pin locks we converted. Starting from fresh I would spend the ten extra dollars and get ball lock.

I have no idea how you broke a pinlock post removing the QD to swap kegs. If you broke the disconnect itself, that's nothing to do with the keg, there are complete garbage disconnects on the market for both styles.

Back