Balcony beer upto 100F+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
What about if I do a crazy wild Balcony Ale ;) leave it outside for the duration of fermentation. I am looking to retire one of my plastic fermentors and give it to my mom to make sour tomatoes.

I recently read in "Brewing with wheat" that German beer style Gose is fermented at 118F / 48C. I can keep mine @ my balcony (covered with cardboard box) but facing the sun.

Can anyone suggest a recipe I can do? Am I crazy? What do commercial wild yeast strains do at above 95F?

I decided to start homebrewing in August in Northern California. I didn't know temperatures mattered. My pale ale ended up fermenting out at 85-90 degrees, maybe higher at points. I bottled it, tried to drink it a month later. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers, but this tasted like an over-salted sour bottle of soy sauce.

I have a case around still. Every once in a while when I'm feeling down about a batch I open a bottle to remind me where I started.

Go for it. But remember, high hopes and low expectations.

I like jwarren's style.

MAYBE a saison would work. I think Dupont is brewed at 84-94*F.

For most ale yeasts these temps will produce extra esters and fusel alcohols. Fusels are perceived as hot and spicy, and aren't that enjoyable.

In general you want to control the fermentation temp as best you can. However if outdoors is the only option you have then make the beer and keep good notes. If it turns out rubbish you'll know what not to do if your situation changes later.

I have done close to 10 Saisons and will be doing more this summer. This balcony beer I want to be different.

I will be brewing some batches indoors but want to try all outdoor batch if I can find something thats doable. I did ferment a Balcony Wit in the past (fall when outside temperature was ~70F).

maybe a berliner weiss. With all the time at those temperatures I should get really funky by the end of summer.

Depends on how you do the BW, but you can definitely get one done by summer if you just stick to lacto and sacc and keep the pedio and brett out of it. The lacto is really going to like the high temps, but of course the sacc isn't going to as much. Maybe go with a belgian or saison strain as your sacc, something that can tolerate those high temps a little better, and get ready for something that might be all kind of crazy!

Back