Balcones barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcarty927

Reaction score
I would really like to hear from people with the balcones 5 gallon barrels. I just got it shipped to me but I dont have a beer ready for it. I am brewing a big ris tomorrow. It won't be ready for 2 to 4 weeks.. should I be worried about the barrel drying out? Should I keep it wet? With water? Or whisky? Has anyone waited a month or so to fill it?

I have a balcones 5 gallon barrel and it will most certainly dry out (from experience). I'd recommend keeping something in it, preferably whiskey or bourbon and not water. I used water in my and it stole much of the whiskey flavor right out of the barrel.

You should be fine with filling and rotating with whiskey ever couple of days to keep the inside wet.

I can second using whiskey to keep the inside wet. Just buy a handle of something cheap and rotate the barrel every couple of days so all sides get some love.

Latest posts

Back