Baking soda works for acidity/ acetaldehyde. I SAVED IT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALRUS

Reaction score
I pressed some apples and made 4 1/2 gallons cider with nottingham yeast. It came out absolutely horribly sour and bitter. I believe the causes to be using too many unripened apples, using a blender allowing seeds/ stems to open before pressing [its all I had to work with], introducing lots of oxygen after fermentation and producing acetaldehyde. It tasted like green apple flavored battery acid. It burned my throat.

I usually like a dryer cider but knew I had to sweeten this one. So I stabilized and right after adding 2 cans of apple cherry concentrate and 2 cans water because it was still just too much, I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda. It instantly and totally killed the acidity. Almost too well.

After racking through a strainer [undissolved baking soda] into a keg for carbonating to a high level of bubbleyness [4 volumes co2] and then bottling, I can safely say this is THE BEST cider Ive ever made. Its buttery smooth, crisp, light, and perfectly sweet @ ~6%ABV, while even retaining a bit of the sour green appley finish in a good way. I totally saved it. :rockin: Just 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda. I would have actually used just 1 if I could do it again. And I thought the cherry apple was a mistake at first because the cherry gave it another layer of tartness/ bitterness but it ended up blending perfectly.

PH went from ~4 to ~5 [I dont remember if I added the juice before or after testing] And yes 5 is stupid high pH for cider but you would do the same if you tasted the swill I was working with. I know I could have maybe 'aged it out' and 'green' brews often taste harsher but I drink and share what I make rather quickly.

SO basically if you have an absolutely disgustingly acidic brew you may be able to salvage it with plain old sodium bicarbonate. This is not a new discovery. Just sharing my experience.
:mug:

I have thought about using baking soda myself to tame a "rough" cider, but I have waited on my ciders, and so far anything that was rough at bottling was quite nice six months out.
I do use baking soda on a regular basis for one thing though--marinara sauce. Yup, and it works like a charm. Two things that are very important: first thing is 1/4 tsp of baking soda in a large (5 or so quarts) will make a HUGE difference in the acidity level, and the second thing is you need to stir the heck out of it while it simmers as new bubbles seem to come out of nowhere. If you do not simmer it long enough after adding the baking soda it will taste "different".

Back