Baking plate chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to use a hop spider to contain your hops so they don't clog your chiller.

That's on order now.

Does anyone have experience baking a wort chiller though? I don't want to ruin it. But it makes sense as a concept.

Yeah, I've done it. Bake it long enough to carbonize what's inside, then flush it out.

After flushing and cleaning mine goes in the oven at 450 for 1-2 hours to dry/sanitize before storing. Sani before using on brew day of course. As noted, keep hops out during chilling.

Welcome to the plate chiller maintenance club!

After baking at 450F for a hour or 2, backflush again with tap water. The more pressure the better when flushing. Invert the flow a few times, to flush it all out. I mount a barbed fitting onto my faucet (or garden hose) and stick the barb into one of the wort ports and hold it down to flush it out. I use a rubber/silicone washer to create a decent seal. Easy to invert the flow by sticking it in the other side. Back and forth until it runs clear.

Then recirculate 2 gallons of a boiling PBW solution for an hour (or longer) from the kettle through the pump and chiller, and let the return dump back into the kettle through a fine mesh hop bag to catch the flakes. You'd be mazed how much more crud comes out, and how brown the PBW water gets. It cleans your whole system, pump, chiller and hoses all at the same time. Again, invert the flow a few times.

When done, recirculate or flush with water. Be careful with Starsan, it will dissolve the copper brazing between the plates. Baking sterilizes the chiller, running boiling wort through at the end of the boil for 3-5 minutes will sanitize it adequately to brewer's standards.

Be careful handling boiling liquids (esp. PBW, lye, or acids) even more so when pumping. Make sure all hoses are clamped down (I'm serious!) and nothing can spray you. Wear safety goggles or a full face shield.

I do this every 4-6 brews, or when needed.

You need to find a way to prevent hop pulp getting into the chiller. So use a good and fairly large filter (to prevent clogging) before the kettle's exit port, use a hop spider, a SS hop basket, or bag your hops. The fine hop particles that make it out the spider/bags and break matter won't clog your chiller, so they can pass through.

I'm now bagging my hops, but looking for alternatives again to make life easier. I have the inkling that hop extraction suffers quite a bit from being restricted and not letting them swim freely. I really like the efficiency and speed of the plate chiller, but keeping hop matter out has been, and still is, a chore and a half. I'm considering alternatives, such as a counterflow chiller or a large immersion chiller. Then I still need to filter the wort before it goes into the fermentor as I hate having trub in there (huge loss of beer, and impossible to harvest clean yeast).

Here's another trick: as soon as I'm done chilling, I disconnect the pump/chiller combo from the kettle and connect it to a container of hot PBW solution and just let it recirculate while I pitch the yeast and clean other stuff up. Works great.

Back flush it and clean with PBW rinse and star San.
Or boil it, or bake it. A good back flush right after use is a best practice.

You can whirlpool and let the trub settle as well.

First off you need to get a good way to filter the hops or at least the bulk of them. My system is a simple keggle system. 15" and level 3 filtration here is a picture of hops that SHOULD be left in the keg.
As for the baking and cleaning. Might I suggest a FULL garden hose pressure back flush on the plate as soon as your done using it. Do this a few times and you will PROBABLY remove everything in there. I use a white bucket to run the water into so I can see if there are any hop flecks coming out. Do a forward flush and backward flush at 70 PSI house pressure from my garden hose till it runs clean.

From there honestly I have not had to ever BAKE mine.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers
Jay

Level3inkeg.jpg

Latest posts

Back