Bakers Yeast Vs Taditional brewers Yeast Expain US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewerTrain

Reaction score
So ive read a bit about bakers yeast vs brewers yeast: taste, favor, style, strain etc
I brewed with Regular Bakers Yeast with my last batch and couldnt really notice any outstanding differences, after primary they both still have a yeastie baker smell to them. Share your opinions and experiences on why or why not to us bakers yeast obviously its not the norm but im not convienced one is better then the other just because of strain style, lmk.

what style did you brew with bakers yeast? Did you try the same recipe, split with both yeasts.... That would tell you, more than anything, whether it matters to *you*

Thanks for the info Brandon. Just the one batch with bakers yeasts. In the future ill do lots of experimenting with different yeasts but for now im wondering if its worth the purchase 500G US-05 200+% savings from 11G Packs

For many months I split my batches using baker's yeast and US-05 (the "cleanest" yeast I knew of) and did side-by-side taste tests.

As long as the fermentation temperatures are within the recommended ale range I could never tell even the slightest difference. That's not to say some people may have a different palatte and may be able to detect a difference. I did notice that baker's yeast is not as flocculant. Cold crashing or just letting the beer settle can remedy this.

However, with baker's yeast, because it's not intended for brewing, there's no guaranty on vitality, cell count, packaging sanitation, or consistency from different manufacturers. And obviously you'll want to avoid baker's yeast in beer styles where the yeast imparts any characteristic of that style.

Other than that, I've produced some excellent homebrew with baker's yeast.

Back