"Bag In A Box" Prime with sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy1066

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im loving my new home brew hobby and am now on my 4th batch of ale and was thinking of using "Bag In A Box" instead of bottling. I would love to hear from you guys on what you think about using this method. Also was wondering if i did go with this idea do i prime the bags with sugar before filling? i'm guessing not, but don't quite know how it would work.
You guys have been so much help in the past, so i turn to you again. Please Help...

Cheers, Down the hatch!!

Never seen those before; looks like a cool concept. Try 'em out and let us know!!!

Delboy, are you in the UK?

Those bags in a box systems are very much a product that's regional to the UK. If you are in the US, check out the Party Pig. Same concept.

You do add priming sugar to the beer when you transfer it to the serving vessel so they can carb in the serving vessel and provide pressure to serve. You add slightly less than you would to a bottle, just because XXX number of bottles has more cumulative headspace than 3-4 of those boxes or party pigs.

I can't tell you exactly how much less, but the standard headspace in a bottle is 8% of the total volume, so you can kinda guestimate how much less priming sugar to use based on how much headspace you leave in the box/party pig as a % of the overall volume.

Hope that makes sense!

Not quite the same as the party pig I think. Party pig is a rigid container and says to prime the beer in it. I think the bag is a box system is for beer that is already carbed. I could easily be wrong.

Back