Baffled by OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Today was just one of those brew days.

Went to LHBS to fill a couple of grain bills, one for today and one for next weekend. At some point between filling the bills and crushing each batch, I effed up and a pound of munich that was supposed to be in my saison recipe is now in my IPA recipe. I realized this while mashing.
After the mash, I was getting hops ready for my 60 minute addition and noticed AA on my hallertauer were half of what I plugged into my software. Not the biggest deal since we're talking saison here but still.
Ran out of propane 10 minutes into the boil. Thankfully had another tank nearby.
Added some sugar to get me back up near my projected OG of 1.054 for the saison. I'm using the Belle saison yeast so I didn't want to go too high on the OG as my previous experience with that yeast is that it eats everything -- finished at 1.001 last time.
Chilled down and dumped into fermenter. Took a sample off for my hydrometer and ... 1.072.
WTF?
It's a new hydrometer and I haven't checked it in distilled water. But even if it's off, it's not 18 points off, right?

If your grist bill was correct...

What temps did you mash at? I had a brew that lost 4 degrees while mashing ... 145 instead of 149... I hit 85% efficiency on that batch.

Did you boil off more than you intended? It wont make an 18 point difference.. but .5 gallon can make a noticeable shift in OG.

Did you double crush or single crush the grains or otherwise change grinder settings from previous batches?

When you added the sugar to bump OG... did you weigh it or use measuring cup? Scale calibrated?

If your grist bill was correct...

What temps did you mash at? I had a brew that lost 4 degrees while mashing ... 145 instead of 149... I hit 85% efficiency on that batch.

Did you boil off more than you intended? It wont make an 18 point difference.. but .5 gallon can make a noticeable shift in OG.

Did you double crush or single crush the grains or otherwise change grinder settings from previous batches?

When you added the sugar to bump OG... did you weigh it or use measuring cup? Scale calibrated?

Actually mashed higher than I wanted to. Was supposed to be at 152 and was at 155. But I did boil for 75 minutes instead of 60.
It was a normal crush. I do BIAB and have used this LHBS regularly for last year. My recipes are designed at 75 percent but I generally get up to 80 percent efficiency with their crush.
Sugar was weighed.

Back