Badgers Poachers choice- Strong ale with prunes and Licorice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJP

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a common strong ale from the UK that seems appropriate for the time of year and I remember as being pretty good last time I had it.
Its from a small brewery (Badger) in Dorset, southern England. The difference being is that its flavoured with licorice and damsons.

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beer/poachers-choice

From the limited information I could pull out from various sources its main ingredients are pale malt, crystal and chocolate, bittered with admiral and finished with first gold hops. Also flavoured with damsons and licorice and its at 5.7% ABV.

I don't have Admiral hops so have replaced with challenger, apparently a parent of admiral. I also have no access to damsons but I do have some great tasting california prunes that I'm thinking may work as a substitute.

Heres the recipe I've got so far

OG 1.056
IBU-29
SRM -15

9 lbs 4 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Crisp) 88.9 %
12 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Crisp) 7.2 %
6 oz Pale Chocolate malt (225.0 SRM) 3.8 %
37 g Challenger [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min 29 IBU
28 g First Gold [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
8.00 oz Prunes (Boil 10.0 mins)
12 g Licorice stick (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Northwest ale (Gales- from nearby Hampshire) WY 1332

I have zero experience of adding licorice or prunes to beer and hoping that someone could give me some pointers. I have purchased a brewers licorice stick.

I was planning on using half a licorice stick and chopping it up to add at maybe 10 mins before end of boil and the same with 8oz of rehydrated prunes. Is that too many prunes, I don't want a dominating flavour.

Another question would an addition of a darker crystal to substitute in part for the lighter one be more appropriate in this sort of beer.

Thanks for any suggestion you may have, seems like a great beer for this time of year.

Back