Bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverdave1

Reaction score
Hello all,
So I made an Imperial Stout and the yeast I harvested from a friend did not activate after I made a starter. I have not pitched it and I will not be able to get more for 4 days. Will my wort be ok? Currently stored in a carboy in a temperature controlled environment at 68 degrees. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

How did you determine that the yeast didn't activate? Did it not change color or develop any krausen? I have had many starters where there was no krausen but it did change to a milky lighter color indicating fermentation. Also, it sometimes takes a while for harvested yeast to wake up in a starter. I had some harvested Ommegang yeast take >48 hours to wake up and ferment a starter. I had to step it up several times to get enough yeast. Did you harvest from bottles or the fermenter? How long was the harvested yeast stored before making your starter?

As for your wort, as long as it is sealed and everything was well sanitized, you should be OK. You can always heat it back up above 160F and cool it back down when you're ready to pitch.

How did you do the starter? If on a stirplate you most likely will not see the same signs as you would in a fermenting beer. Sometimes there is no krausen at all. The color should turn from brown to milk and a little coffee.

How long did you let it ferment?
What temperature?

More details needed to determine whether the yeast was really bad.

As said, if sanitary the wort should be ok, if concerned bring the temperature back to pasteurization temperature then cool again.

Back