Bad yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
So I've never experienced fermentation issues in pretty much all my batches. I can post recipes but I don't know if they'll really be needed.

I brewed 20g a few weeks back. 10g Amarillo SMaSH, 10g of black IPA. SMaSH finished at 1.070 and black IPA finished at 1.063.

I checked gravity of all 4 carboys tonight. Both the SMaSH's and 1 of the black IPA is at 1.34, and 1 of the black IPA is at 1.013 (target) ..... ???

Both batches have a similar pineapple kind of taste as well. All 4 yeasts were harvested from the same batch of wlp001.

I know it could be unfermentables, stalled ferm from temp too cold, etc...all 4 batches are at about 67-68 for over 2 weeks now.

I also "brewed" 5 G ciderhouse rasp lime cider that same day....it tastes fine and pretty much hit target FG of 1.004 ( I'm at 1.006).

Safe to say I have a bad batch of yeast? Odd its at the same FG with 2 completely different beers...with same pineapple kind of taste....but I don't get how 1 of the Black IPA carboys dropped to 1.013??

Any ideas ??

As an update - I picked up a couple packets of S05. All carboys hit FG! To to bottle and see if the bad yeasties contributed bad flavours :(

Back