Bad yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpwood

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA yesterday afternoon and am seeing very little activity, which is very unusual. It was my first time using Wyeast and the yeast was about 5 months after the packaging date. I only let it sit after breaking the packet for about 3 hours and their was no swelling. Usually I see lots of activity by this point. Can I pitch some new yeast? If so, about how long do I have? Thanks.

A 5 month old smack pack of Wyeast is probably underpitching an IPA by a lot. I almost always make starters for liquid yeast.

If you want to pitch more, go ahead. If you don't, I bet you see activity in the next day. The yeast are busy reproducing and getting their numbers up. Still, in terms of time, if you're going to add more yeast, sooner is going to be better than later.
:mug:

EDIT: Also, "activity" in terms of airlock means almost nothing. Active bubbling can tell you that fermentation is likely taking place, but it does not guarantee it. Heck, I have a bucket with a bad seal. I almost never see any bubbling with that one.

Thanks for the advice. Krausen has formed over night and there is a steady bubbling in the airlock. I usually use a starter as I've only used dry yeast before, I just assumed that's what was in the Wyeast pack. Now I know for next time. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back