Bad Trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexibilly

Mexibilly
Reaction score
At what point do you decide that a trade will likely not be fulfilled?
Is 3 weeks without any communication, after repeated messages (not to mention $136 worth of good beer 6 weeks ago) sent too long to wait?
I'm inclined to understand that s**t happens and the majority of people have good intentions and will follow through.
Any thoughts? This is my first trade

Ya man I think you might have been scammed on. You should use Beerexchange.io so you know you're not trading with shadesters. Ive never had anyone take longer than a week, and never gone more than a few days w/o communication

:/ I'm sorry to hear that. I would think at this point that you got screwed. Even with the normal "s#%& happens" sometimes lives that we have, 6 weeks is far more than enough time to get a trade out - unless you were expecting something VERY rare and it took time to be tracked down.. but then, I would still expect communication.

Personally I have had nothing but good trades with everyone I've worked with on HBT. In the back of my head I thought I might not get a trade back on one or two, but fortunately it's not been a problem and I have been able to work with everyone who has messaged me (except the two that appeared to have only made an HBT account for beer trading purposes, I told them no right away). I would also caution against sending such high dollar trades to start (even though I have taken that gamble myself), maybe start smaller and make larger trades once you have established a better familiarity with this person and how they conduct business (trades). I now that doesn't help you out much with the current situation, but I fear not much can be done at this point except to relay this information to the admin.

You would think you are past the "sh*t happens" stage when messages are not being returned. I, personally, dont find it excusable to go several weeks without keeping in contact during an active agreement. Sorry for your situation.

Is 3 weeks without any communication, after repeated messages (not to mention $136 worth of good beer 6 weeks ago) sent too long to wait?
I'm inclined to understand that s**t happens and the majority of people have good intentions and will follow through.

Six weeks is far too long. Three weeks is DEFINITELY far too long without any communication. Even if there were personal issues, three weeks is too long without even a quick PM.

If it was a member here, start a new thread and publicly out him/her. We need to be aware of who the scammers are. If this person did this to you, he or she is likely to do it to someone else as well.

It was. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt within a reasonable time frame based on his sharing some issues he had going on. My thing is I have zero experience to know what reasonable is.
This is what I was fishing for, some advice from experienced traders

If it was a member here, start a new thread and publicly out him/her. We need to be aware of who the scammers are. If this person did this to you, he or she is likely to do it to someone else as well.

I'd feel like a d**k if I did that and found out he had a legitimate reason.
That being said, he's been active on here within less than 2 weeks, but no update

Well?? Who da fuq is it? Lol.

If anything, you'd think they'd see this thread and realize they are being inconsiderate.

Edit: Start a count down to outing them. You have 24 hours, if you do not respond, I will funk your chips up.

If he's an active member here, send him a PM and tell him that if he doesn't respond with a darned good reason why you haven't heard from him you'll out him on here. If that doesn't work...OUT HIM!

Agree with the others that this is unacceptable, especially if the offending party has been on HBT within the last few weeks and is simply ignoring your messages. Maybe we need a "bad traders" sticky like some other forums have, so that these people can't repeatedly scam folks. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're probably not the only person he/she has ripped off.

Sorry you got burned man.

If you're not comfortable with a public call-out, you could try alerting the mods. If it comes down to a "fess up or get banned" type situation, the guilty party might be a little more willing to negotiate.

Agree with the others that this is unacceptable, especially if the offending party has been on HBT within the last few weeks and is simply ignoring your messages. Maybe we need a "bad traders" sticky like some other forums have, so that these people can't repeatedly scam folks. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're probably not the only person he/she has ripped off.

Dude's got 100% positive on 4 previous trades. Member for over 2 years. I'm gonna give it a couple of days.
I agree that a moment to send or respond to a message is assumed, regardless of the circumstances, but I'm not in his shoes, and would rather err on the side of not being a d**k, given the fact that he's conducted successful trades through HBT in the past.
This ball really got rolling when my buddy, that trades more regularly on BA and is included on the trade, suggested I red flag this guy, based on input from traders there.
This is brand new territory to me. Rather than be a d**k, I'm gonna let it go for a few days. I'll post the end result of the situation...

That's a tough pill to swallow. I have traded on here before and I have always implemented the practice of "I have "x" to send you and I am trying to get a "y" but "y" is hard to find. Do you want me to send you "x" and if I find "y" put it in the next trade? Or would you like to wait for "y"" but the key is communication. And I always have a few whales in my cellar just incase I can't come up with something and need to get it out.

Anyway, this thread is a bummer, so let's turn it into a game of Guess Who? I will begin......

Is the person a forum supporter?

Dude's got 100% positive on 4 previous trades. Member for over 2 years. I'm gonna give it a couple of days.
I agree that a moment to send or respond to a message is assumed, regardless of the circumstances, but I'm not in his shoes, and would rather err on the side of not being a d**k, given the fact that he's conducted successful trades through HBT in the past.
This ball really got rolling when my buddy, that trades more regularly on BA and is included on the trade, suggested I red flag this guy, based on input from traders there.
This is brand new territory to me. Rather than be a d**k, I'm gonna let it go for a few days. I'll post the end result of the situation...

I don't think anyone here would consider it a dick move, considering the circumstances.

I don't think anyone here would consider it a dick move, considering the circumstances. 6 weeks with no communication is unacceptable, assuming that this person is still alive and hasn't been kidnapped or befallen some terrible fate.

I don't think anyone here would consider it a d**k move, considering the circumstances. 6 weeks with no communication is unacceptable, assuming that this person is still alive and hasn't been kidnapped or befallen some terrible fate.

Anyway, this thread is a bummer, so let's turn it into a game of Guess Who? I will begin......

Is the person a forum supporter?

No game yet.
I'll give the unnamed trader a few days to respond to my recent messages. If I don't get any response within a time frame that I deem reasonable, no guessing game will be required...

I don't think anyone here would consider it a d**k move, considering the circumstances. 6 weeks with no communication is unacceptable, assuming that this person is still alive and hasn't been kidnapped or befallen some terrible fate.

Its been 6 weeks since I sent a 30+ pound package of beer. Not sure the date he received it, but within a few days. He's been incommunicado since 6-27.
Regardless of the common opinion, I'll give him a chance to check his messages and respond.
This is and has been a learning experience when it comes to trading. I'm not put off of the practice due to this first situation, but it will be in the back of my mind on every future trade...

th_popcorncat.gif

If he had a shred of etiquette he would have replied weeks ago.

You've got a lot more patience than me by the sound of things. Good on ya Mex. I hope this all works out for you. That sounds like a veritable beer bonanza you shipped to this thoughtless fellow receiving nought in return.

I would be flippin' fuming from the ears by now.

Wow! I've never had an issue trading beer on any site. Usually, I just mail the beer before I even get paid or receive the return beer. Especially if it's a hbt'er. Drunken forum sots just seem pretty trustworthy to me! :ban:

I would have outed his ass weeks ago. But I'm a dick, so...

If he had a shred of etiquette he would have replied weeks ago.

You've got a lot more patience than me by the sound of things. Good on ya Mex. I hope this all works out for you. That sounds like a veritable beer bonanza you shipped to this thoughtless fellow receiving nought in return.

I would be flippin' fuming from the ears by now.

Etiquette. That's the word I was looking for earlier. Thank you : )

Hey op.
You got a phone number for the guy in question?
If not, pm the 4 people that did trades with the deadbeat(i like it better than bad trader)anf try to get it and call/text him.

Look, we need to bring this issue to a head. I suggest the following action:

1. Mail him a Bud Light Lime (its the equivalent of a horse head).
2. Put a note on it that if you don't see your beer in 48 hours or your money then a 6-pack is next.
3. If he still doesn't send your beer, RSVP him for a local MillerCoors event.
4. If you STILL don't get your beer or money, post the username.
5. ????????
6. Profit.

riot.jpg

It's been 6 weeks since he got your shipment. I'm all for benefit of the doubt, but its probably time for a little public pressure.

Is there a way to trade using a third-party? For example:

Person A ships to Person B's LHBS
Person B ships to Person A's LHBS
Both LHBS confirms trade is fulfilled and ready to pickup.
LHBS may charge a small fee for their service.

It happens.

I've been stiffed twice (both packages sent out to different HBT members last summer).

It stinks but it's not worth begging or arguing over.

Latest posts

Back