Bad thermometer/Low gravity - Start over or keep going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchtech

Reaction score
I decided to try https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ode-to-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone.28239/ for my second all grain batch. I had most of the ingredients on hand, and am I big fan of stouts.

I also plan on taking half of it and turning it into a gingerbread stout utilizing a tincture.

After i got everything into the boil kettle, I realized that the thermometer I was using was giving some wild readings, up to +/-10 degrees.

My gravity ends up looking like it's 1.030, (I took it "cold" this time ;)), 1.028 @ wort temp of 78F, hydrometer calibrated at 60F.

Also, while attempting a continuous sparge of sorts, it appears I disturbed my grain bed (I have a large rectangular cooler, was "sparging" with a spoon and controlling the water flow), and had quite a bit of grain material in my boil kettle. (I should've batch sparged)

I haven't pitched my yeast yet, and plan on growing quite a bit of yeast out of this starter to have some extra on hand in the fridge (to play around with yeast harvesting).

The goal of these beers is to have something to share with friends this holiday season, so I want something they'd at least drink.

So, given all the above hiccups, and the fact that I have everything I need on hand, I'm curious if I should keep going and see what happens, or if I should start over and utilize better measuring.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion - unless you make a drastic mistake like adding gasoline or muriatic acid when you thought it was some other addition - never give up on a batch.
You might be pleasantly surprised. Note your mistakes and make corrections.
Besides, you still have time to make another ale for the holidays.

Eh, waiting made my decision for me. Couldn't get to the lhbs in time to get some more DME (used my last on my yeast starter). I feel better dumping and starting over as well, it seems. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back