Bad Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
It would seem my regulator sh*t the bed yesterday, or probably earlier. So i put two kegs on to carb up, knowing I was low on gas. Next free day off, maybe 3 days, go down to retrieve bottle to exchange, and it was empty. Disconnect the regulator, exchange gas... new bottle in hand reconnect regulator, turn gas on. Now, it has pretty much be set and forget for a year. minimal adjustment to the pressure, when i turn the gas on the line pressure side, which should be set to about 10#, starts to spin and the pressure relief starts popping like a rifle going off. Bottle gauge reads the correct pressure. So now if have two kegs, one of which i think needs to be resealed waiting in the kegerator until the new regulator shows on Monday. But it would follow that the initial bottle put a blanket of C02 on the beer. Not that there is much I can do about it now anyway.

I keep on of those hand held thingies for just such an occasion. It uses those small co2's that go in air rifles. The gadget was given to me so my only cost is the small cartridges. I can seal a keg and purge o2 if my regulator ever decides to revolt. I also use it to seal kegs that are waiting in line as my keezer only holds two at a time.

I keep on of those hand held thingies for just such an occasion. It uses those small co2's that go in air rifles. The gadget was given to me so my only cost is the small cartridges. I can seal a keg and purge o2 if my regulator ever decides to revolt. I also use it to seal kegs that are waiting in line as my keezer only holds two at a time.

Storing kegs under co2 while waiting for chilled space is a good idea. You can also pull the line off your chilled keg and pop it on the warm keg for a moment if you don't have the hand held appliance.

Back