Fruit Beer Bad Patch Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punx Clever

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Munich
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 65F
Tasting Notes
Honey malt balances out the tartness of the raspberries very well.
Recipe: Raspberry Wheat
Brewer: Dempsey Smith
Asst Brewer:
Style: Fruit Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.00 lb Raspberries (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 13.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Hydro sample at kegging:
882617_509507922439812_1214484221_o.jpg

Brewed this a week ago. Hydro sample tasted amazing without the Raspberries. Added 3lbs of rasp and racked to secondary. Will sit for a 2 weeks to soak up that goodness, but alot of the raspberries were turning white after just a few hours!

Glad you liked it so far. I found the beer before raspberries to be wayyyy too sweet. Sampling from the keg after carbonation now, the sweetness from the honey malt really balances out the bitterness/tartness of the frozen raspberries.

As a side note: it doesn't take this long to carb up and condition, but I brewed it for a homebrew festival, so it's just waiting.

How long would you leave it on the raspberries before kegging? I know you said 2 weeks, but many other rasp wheat beers around here say after 6 days to pull it off them. I might give them a week and transfer to Keg and condition for the second week, instead of 2 weeks on the raspberries

I let it at two for no particular reason. Might be why I got as much bitterness from the raspberries as I did.

Broke this out for SWMBO last weekend and she loves it. Had a bit too much of it actually haha. She passed it around to her girl friends at a gathering and they all had nothing but great comments on it. Only negative i heard from SWMBO was that she wishes it had more raspberry flavor, which im thinking i could achieve by adding rasp extract. Gonna have to play with this one again for sure.

Havent made this beer yet or used fruit at all for that matter. Whats the best method to use when adding the fruit do you just toss it in there or sanitize the fruit in someway

Havent made this beer yet or used fruit at all for that matter. Whats the best method to use when adding the fruit do you just toss it in there or sanitize the fruit in someway

I bought frozen raspberries which should have been sanitized already while packaging (I think) and I had no issues what so ever with mine.

I bought frozen raspberries which should have been sanitized already while packaging (I think) and I had no issues what so ever with mine.

This. Between having been frozen and then being put into an alcoholic environment with hops and a huge population of yeast already present... no problems just putting frozen fruit in.

Back