Bad package of yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
Hey

So I think I may have gotten a bad batch of yeast. I'm using EC-1118 and making 2.5 gal of Apfelwein in a Mr. Beer fermentor.

I bought allens apple juice, the kind in the can, since i'm on a budget and it was on sale. I added a cinnamon stick, which i boiled in about 2 cups of the juice before adding to the rest of the juice, as well as 1lb of dextrose. The juice was cool to the touch but not cold. It was sitting in my gym bag, prob only in my car for about 20 mins as I drove home from the store. Couldnt have got that cold.

basically I pitched, and noticed the yeast seeming a bit weird. It started to fall, and right now, about an hour after pitching, it's just chilling on the bottom. No bubbles to speak of, no movement. super weird.

any suggesetions or is this supposed to happen

:ban:Did the juice have a preservative in it (ie. potassium sorbate, or another). That is there to inhibit fermentation and spoilage...you need fresh juice without preservatives...the yeast is fine, but you are fighting a losing battle...

just noticed you said you pitched an hour ago and don't know why it's doing nothing...lol...........

thats awesome

I know an hour is nothing to get worked up over, but i expected....something.

ingredients on the juice say "apple juice made from fresh apples, vitamin c" thats it.

if no activity in a few days, i'll scrap it and not cheap out next time.

Check the juice package to make sure there aren't any preservatives like sorbate or benzoate, and if not, wait up to three days to see if there are any signs of fermentation. In about 24-48 hours, there should be some activity. Keep it at about 70 degrees +/- if you can.

I must have posted when you did, so forget my last post!

Check it in three days, and see if anything is happening. By then, it should show signs of fermentation. There will be a few bubbles up on the sides of the fermenter, and it will look cloudy. You won't be able to see through the juice very well when fermentation is active.

sorry, i was just messing around...you should be fine just keep the temps in range and don't expect anything for the first 12 hours. most start around 12 hours but can take up to 72 hours..

good luck

Thanks guys. Here's hoping. good to hear it from other people i guess.

Updates to come im sure.

Back