Bad luck, Bad Bottles, or did I F up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00man2839

Reaction score
Got home this afternoon to go and grab a couple of 22oz Cream Ales that have been conditioning for about 3 weeks, and to my dismay 6 of the bottles were broken, necks just completely fell off.

The bottles have been in a box in a standup shower in one of the spare bedrooms in my house the whole time. Temperature floats betweeen 70-78 degrees depending on the day, and if the AC is on in the house.

Everything was fine during bottling day, any idea on what may have happened?

It sounds like they were bottled too early, a priming sugar error or infection and bad bottles. If you had real bottle bombs I would expect more shrapnel! maybe there was enough pressure in the bottles made the weak necks pop off

Yea, bottle bombs in the shower due to one of those (^^) can cause this (vv)

Read more here for the explosive story: Boom - Bottle Bombs take out entire shower and the south side of Gotham City

boom.JPG

It sounds like they were bottled too early, a priming sugar error or infection and bad bottles. If you had real bottle bombs I would expect more shrapnel! maybe there was enough pressure in the bottles made the weak necks pop off

I used fermentors fizz drops for the bottles and left it in the fermentor almost 4 weeks.

Maybe the temp in the bathroom got higher than i thought i dunno... beers that didn't pop were awesome though :)

The temperature of the bathroom doesn't matter - unless you're closer to the Sun than the rest of us ;)

Either there was more food in that beer for the yeast to eat than expected, or the yeast have company...

Cheers!

I don't know but I would look at how thick the glass is where it broke, that should give you a Idea if it was bad glass or bad practices.:mug:

Or you are way to aggressive with your wing capper and fractured the necks when bottling
Add pressure from co2 and Ccrraacckk

Some bottle necks crack easy.. I have found that New Belgium bottles take a firm but easy pressure and you don't really need more than that. If you dent you caps you are using to much pressure! If I dent a cap chances are I might have fractured the neck of the bottle...

Latest posts

Back