Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanes152

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a native hop plant growing and not sure if they are bittering or aroma hops. I kegged an American ipa last night and thought about dry hopping with them. Bad idea? Or will it just come out with a stronger hop flavor? Thanks for the advice

You could have tried to rack off a small amount 1/2 gallon maybe and dry hop it to see what it tastes like? Experiments are all about homebrew!

divrguy said:
You could have tried to rack off a small amount 1/2 gallon maybe and dry hop it to see what it tastes like? Experiments are all about homebrew!

Btw, I didn't know hop vines would grow without someone doing it on purpose lol

Dry hopping won't add bitterness, as far as I know. Only aroma. So, I don't see how it could hurt.

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/

Check page 42. Don't be afraid of super alpha hops for dry hopping. Don't be afraid to mix. Don't be afraid to try the hop that is growing on that random fence in the 'hood. Just don't expect to get the same result again! Ha.

Babies grow without people doing it on purpose, too. Sometimes.
Ummm... no. By surprise, maybe!

Make some hop tea. See if you like the aroma and/or flavor. It would be tough to bitter with them, being an unknown AA%. But a tea would simulate a late addition. Sounds fun!

Good info in the article. Thanks! I haven't picked them yet so maybe multi stage dry hop will be fun

You might be better off making a simpler, less hoppy beer than an American IPA and dry hopping that. Or even using the unknown hop for flavor and aroma. You'll get a better idea of what the hop can add that way.

But, I don't see how adding some to your present beer could hurt.

Latest posts

Back