Bad Brew Night: Split wort + no-chill -- will it still make beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
So I did a partial boil mini-mash last night. Followed the instructions like normal but it was getting close to 11pm and the beer I was drinking was catching up with me so I got lazy and changed my process significantly and threw in some mistakes:

1. No-chill after the boil -- I didn't want to bother getting out the chiller that late. I just put a top on it and let it sit overnight. Because of #2, the wort is only steeped grains and boiled hops.

2. Forgot to add extract -- woke up this morning and the damn extract container was on the counter. I had forgotten to stir in the extract on flame out. The wort was already cooled so I didn't want to risk contamination and I didn't have time to reheat the wort. So I .....

3. Essentially made a second batch of beer -- put a gallon or so of water on the stove to boil, added my sugars and extract, brought to a boil, flame out, put a top on it and went to work. Hopefully it'll be sanitized when I get home this evening.

So when I get home, I'll have:

1. 3-4 gallons of the initial wort @ room temp. It's only steeped grains and hops.
2. 1-2 gallons of hop-less wort @ room temp.

I plan to rack them both into the fermenter tonight, add yeast, shake, and business as usual.

I know this isn't an ideal brew process but the recipe was for my favorite homebrew so far. Should I expect a significantly different product? I assume it'll still be beer :tank:

Yep still beer. Not ideal but still beer as long as nothing funky got in there while it was sitting around.

You would have topped up with water anyway, right? So "topping up" with the DME-wort seems fine to me. Be sure to mix the two really well before you pitch your yeast.

If you have time, it wouldn't hurt to combine the two, and boil for about 15 minutes to sterilize again.. then chill.. def, not a practice that I would make a habit, nor will it be as good as you would have made, but it'll be beer... A little advice.. drink during boil, that way by time your toasty all the work is almost over.. then the only thing you'll ski[p out on is cleaning your equipment..;0)

I dont think it will be much of an issue assuming you didn't pick up any crazy critters letting it sit overnight. Even so I would just find the time to boil up the 2 together, sterilize that sucker, chill it out, pitch it, ferment it, and drink it to mess up your next batch :p

I call it "Look ma, no extract, Ale."

Let us know how it turns out?

I just mixed them last night, shook, pitched, and it's fermenting this morning. The hop smell seems different -- but that might just be paranoia. I'll update when I get a taste in 3-4 weeks :D

Latest posts

Back